Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2005, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

City Boy Goes Hunting

Had my first Pheasant Hunting trip today at Werner Enterprises private hunting camp in Valley Omaha. 600 acres of land out with four great dogs and we got 68 birds in about 3 hours with four guys! No per man limit because its a private sancuary and they stock it

It was so much fun I have to find a place in the northeast thats affordable to do it. I know that it will never be like this though. I now understand all the hunters being that I was strickly deep-sea saltwater until now. I am going home and buying myself a browning so that I can do this again!
Old 11-05-2005, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

kinda addicting if it gets in your blood, Congrats on the birds the wild ones will be a little harder to bag
Old 11-05-2005, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
kinda addicting if it gets in your blood, Congrats on the birds the wild ones will be a little harder to bag
for sure harder to bag but you are taking a huge step in the right direction all degree, your thinking Browning, remember there is no substitute
Old 11-05-2005, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

well congrats on a fine day for you Lawrence. personally, I don't hunt private preserves but they have their place and the great experience you had today proves that.

what kind of BROWNING did you use? I have a Browning or two and nothing fits my shoulder quite like the A-5.

glad you had a good day!

GEO
Old 11-05-2005, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The gun was a Browning Citori (?) 325.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by all degree
The gun was a Browning Citori (?) 325.
Lots of nice shot guns on the market I'm with Geo as I prefer the A-5 browning.
But love my Franchi, lite weight and straight shooter, or an old ithica model 37 feather lite pump. Just get the feel for a few before buying one. You'll know immediatly when you find the right one.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Ruger rules

Sorry boys but Ruger Red Label over and under is the "only" way to go. I am also addicted to private resort pheasant hunts, going again in Dec. at Show Me Birds resort in Kansas. Really Brownings were my first love until I got this Ruger 2 years ago and absolutely love it.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think that you guys are confusing what I did. I wasnt at a private resort I was at a private house owned by a trucking company. These were wild birds in natural habitat. Its not open to the public and you cant call up for a reservation.

I understand that it would be very difficult in the wild. I am sure that we would not have seen as many birds in that situation. Either way I am hooked for sure.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I think that you guys are confusing what I did. I wasnt at a private resort I was at a private house owned by a trucking company. These were wild birds in natural habitat. Its not open to the public and you cant call up for a reservation.
but Lawrence you posted first:

Quote:
Had my first Pheasant Hunting trip today at Werner Enterprises private hunting camp in Valley Omaha. 600 acres of land out with four great dogs and we got 68 birds in about 3 hours with four guys! No per man limit because its a private sancuary and they stock it
Lawrence--there is a small contradiction here. but look...we are not dissing you for the private hunt! seriously!

I am glad you got the feel of the hunt and a fine weapon with good dogs.

GEO
Old 11-06-2005, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldturf
Sorry boys but Ruger Red Label over and under is the "only" way to go. I am also addicted to private resort pheasant hunts, going again in Dec. at Show Me Birds resort in Kansas. Really Brownings were my first love until I got this Ruger 2 years ago and absolutely love it.
Really love my Browning Citori O/U 12 (I bought two), also own about three Remmingtons, but my favorite to hunt with is Grandads bald knobber, pre WW II Belgium Browning Lite 12, still have the owners manual. This is one gun thats tough to beat IMO.