Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-24-2005, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

How to make a sealer spray unit (275g)

Hi, was looking into buy a unit from star seal but was turned off when i started figuring out the shipping and what it would take to get it across the border into canada. paper work etc.

I have decide to build my own. What im looking for is a parts list and maybe some one can fill me in on what kind of pump i need and size of hoses/fittings etc. This would be very appreciated.

DJ Contracting, I noticed you have made the same thing but i was unable to PM you about it. maybe you can answer some of my questions.

Below is a picture of what I would like to build.
Thank you all so much.

Could not get pictures to work, here is the site.
http://www.starsealofohio.com/catalog/sealcoat-rig.html
Old 12-24-2005, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Dam, I have been researching that unit and I have herd nothing but BAD things about it. Speed, Clogs, Water needed to dilute mix, etc. Anyone have anything good to say about this unit?
Old 12-26-2005, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I know being cheap is the key to success but if you plan to use any catalyst(dryer) or silica, this tank is the worst. If you don't constantly turn and agitate the entire contents you'll get dry sealer in the corners etc.
PS. polyethalene(plastic) is not suitable for open road use. These tanks are used in vans. The walls are sometimes not thick enough and CAN? break, distort etc.
This apparatus is not suitable for sealcoating. Most of the THEIF-TIME gypsies use these tanks becuase they cost about $40 at the right store.
Save your money and buy a a real steel tank.

As far as the pump go on ebay. It's called a Diaphram pump and takes a compressor and about 6 HP engine.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Keepoffthegrass The unit that you are looking at will work for you if your looking to get into the business, from experience the unit should last you two or three seasons with changing the pump diaphragm once, cost to put one together if you can find a tank for under $100.00 should be around $700.00 - $800.00. I bought the pump (Inteck transfer pump 5.5 hp) for $239.95 @ Tractor supply. The green hoses that are shown in the picture can also be bought @ TSC, i used 3/4 hose and also built my spray wand out of 3/4 gal.pipe. to make this short i belive i bought just about everything @ TSC and Homedepot. In the short time (Sept.and Oct) that i used it i made just shy of 10 grand so i'm looking for a good year next season, remember this unit will make you enough money to buy the commercial if you continue in the business, good luck. Joe
Old 01-25-2006, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Contracting
Keepoffthegrass The unit that you are looking at will work for you if your looking to get into the business, from experience the unit should last you two or three seasons with changing the pump diaphragm once, cost to put one together if you can find a tank for under $100.00 should be around $700.00 - $800.00. I bought the pump (Inteck transfer pump 5.5 hp) for $239.95 @ Tractor supply. The green hoses that are shown in the picture can also be bought @ TSC, i used 3/4 hose and also built my spray wand out of 3/4 gal.pipe. to make this short i belive i bought just about everything @ TSC and Homedepot. In the short time (Sept.and Oct) that i used it i made just shy of 10 grand so i'm looking for a good year next season, remember this unit will make you enough money to buy the commercial if you continue in the business, good luck. Joe

THANKS DJ, now that spring is near i will probably be asking you alot of questions as i piece this thing together! Good luck on growing your bus.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Dj, how long of a spray hose can you use with your setup? Thanks --------Korey
Old 01-31-2006, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have fifty foot of 3/4 inch hose
05' 48" Ariens 2148XL ZTR W/Grass Catcher
06' 36" Gravely W/B W/Grass Catcher
06' 1 Ryobi Trimmer
09 Echo SMR 210 trimmer
09 Ryobi hand-held blower
06' Mclane Edger
? Craftsman self propeled W/Bagger(was giving to me)
? Toro Recycler ll W/Bagger I picked up at a rummage sale for $5.00
Old 01-03-2006, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Kgrass
I have seen those pumps used for transfer (no sand) but not for spraying.
The psi will be lower, youll be walking slower. I think that is a impeller not a
diaphragm pump. 1-4 lbs of sand per gal will put some serious wear on the
impeller & housing. As the clearence between the two incresses, preformance will drop rapidly. Hose lenght will be limited. I dought it will even
spray a heavy sand load. My Graco diaphragm pump just finished its 6th
season with zero problems.
Thick sealer + 3lbs of sand per = a long lasting job with an antislip surface.
Time has shown us the only way to mix thick sealer is a steel shaft,arms and
rubber wipers. A recirculating system will not mix thick sealer correctly.
A square tank (agine time tested) wont work for thick sealer.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it was helpful to you.

Oh, you wanted to hear somthing good about it........a.......it sure looks nice.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

If you insist on building your own unit, get a 2” Wilden air-operated, dual-diaphragm pump.

However, you will most likely spend the same amount (plus your time and effort) in building your own unit versus just buying a professional seal coating unit. I mean by building a real, professional unit with a round tank and hydraulic agitation, not one of those plastic totes with a trash pump setups people on this forum seem to worship.

EVERY high-quality sealer requires some sand. Even stuff at home depot sold in buckets has some sand. The pump on those plastic tote setups are cheap trash pumps designed for pumping water from flooded basements and things like that. They are not designed to transfer and apply the heavy sand loads a professional sealer mix should contain.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Lots of people do build their own tanks, but it really depends if you have the parts and resources available. Winter is a good time to do it since you aren't really missing out on any work.

If you could find an old steel tank, all you need to do is cut a hole in the top as a manway and door to add sealer, and then a hole at each end in the middle for the shaft so you can mix it. Then you either have to build a trailer, or put it on a trailer. Just keep in mind that these units get heavy when they are full so if your trailer isn't heavy duty enough it will be sitting on the ground.

Keep checking on ebay, there are always good deals on seal coating units and tanks. And you can convert most tanks into spray units pretty easily.