Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2000, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do the lawn care for an apartment complex that has Japanese Holly bushes. They grow 12&quot;-15&quot; a week. I called the local Ag Extension Office and was told they are probably a variety that is supposed to max out at 12' - 15'. He said all they are trying to do is grow, grow, grow to achieve their designed height.<p>Well I have to trim them every week, and it's a major pain and time consumer.<p>I asked the Ag guy if Lime might do it, but he said no because they really like neutral soil, and here in Tennessee putting lime on our soil just mostly brings it closer to neutral anyway.<p>I was thinking of trying to spray Round-Up on them as an experiment, using a weak solution -- something like Ĺ ounce per gallon, to see if that might stunt their growth. Of course I don't want to kill them, just slow them down a bit.<p>If anyone out there has a suggestion I'd be willing to try it. <br>
Old 04-11-2000, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

OFFER YTO CUT THEM DOWN AND REPALCE THEM WITH SOMETHING MORE LOW MAINTENANCE, THATS THRE BESYT BET IF NOT IF YOU CAN FIND GOOD INFO YOU MAY BE ABLE TO USE A GROWTH REGULATOR, I'VE READ SOME STUFF BUT HAVE NEVER TRIED THEM BEFORE.....EITHER WAYT GOOD LUCK
Old 04-11-2000, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I could cut them down, but that's not an option. There are too many and they won't incurr the expense.
Old 04-11-2000, 10:47 PM

Use Atrimec growth regulator by PBI Gorden on them.