Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2000, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys price bush trimming? Need some help on this. need to give a estimate on trimming 2 big bushs, a 40'long over grown hedge,and a bunch of smaller bushes, and haul it away.. any advise helpfull.<br>Thank you,<br>Jason
Old 04-08-2000, 07:48 PM
Major Tom

Jason,where do I START.I have had several run ins with these kind of &quot;offenders&quot;.Bid the job five times as much as you normally would do the work for,when they look at you as if they just swallowed a softball explain to them as to why they neglected their landscape for the last three years.This usually works great for me.GOOD LUCK.
Old 04-09-2000, 10:32 AM

Look in the big bush and see how many little bushes make up the big bush. Go down the line and count them. CHarge between 4$ and 10$ per bush to trim . If the bushes are less than 10 feet tall. Taller than that tell them to call a tree man. Then double or triple that to haul it off. JUst an idea to get u started.
Old 04-09-2000, 02:15 PM

Hello:<p>Charles, is on the right track. I always figured time though. I don't know how big - big bushs are, a 40'long over grown hedge is, or a bunch of smaller bushes is, what I mean is, the size?<p>Lets say the 40' hedge can be trimmed with gas powered trimmers, easy access (less than 6' tall & 4' across). This means you can use 2'ft ladder or one of those dangerous 5 gal. buckets? Then clean out beds & get to truck or street.<p>If I needed work real bad 1 1/2 hours, didn't need work bad 2 hours & didn't care if I got the job or not 2 1/2 to 3 hours.<p>Plus time hauling & desposal fee if it applies in your area. I would add the fee anyway, even if you have a place to dump for free or not. Because the other guys might have to figure this expense in.<p>If bushes require heavy cutting with hand lopers & a little gas trimmers. I would probably come close to doubling that amount.<p>I also figure my cleanups at about $5 a hour less than running major lawn equipment.<p>2 big bushes, lets say 6'tall & 3' in diameter roughly. If I needed work real bad 40 min., & didn't care if I got the job or not 50 min. to 1 hour.<p>Make your own time on different task & keep records of it. Then later make yourself a chart or cheat sheet to go by. It will make you big bucks in the long run when you are bidding those cleanups!<p>Would others please give their time on a job with exact same size hedge & 2 big bushes. I would very much like input from others.<p>Thank you in advance for your time, if you decide to answer the above questions! <p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 04-09-2000, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies.<br>The big bushes are lilac bushes and they want them cut back to 3' tall and there about 6 to 7' tall now so it would be mostly looper work. Theres about 3 to 4hrs. of work for 1 person. I figured about 100-150 or so. <br>all they wanted was a ball park figure. Is this sound right or to low. <br>Thanks again for the replies..<br>Jason
Old 04-10-2000, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

loppers? you the same saw you are buying for your tree job, when your cutting them back that far cleanup should be a breeze USE A TARP...<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 04-11-2000, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

JASON I THINK YOU ARE UNDER PRICED, I CHARGE 50.00 HR FOR HEDGE TRIMMING WHETHER GASD OR BY HAND, THIS IS CHARGED FROM THE TIME I PULL UP ON THE JOB UNTIL EVERYTHING IS LOADED ON THE TRUCK AND OFF TO THE DUMP, I FIGURE TRAVEL TIME IN AS WELL AS ANY DISPOSAL FEES THAT I WOULD BE CHARGED TO GET RID OF THE DEBRIS. THAT 50.00 IS FOR THE ONE MAN ONLY IF ITS A HUGE JOB AND A CLEANUP GUY IS NEEDED I GET ANOTHER 25.00 PER HOUR .