Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2000, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am looking for advise from the men and women who have been in the sun for many years. What do you do? Do you wear hats and/or sunscreen to protect you from the sun? Be honest - look in the mirror and does your skin look like an old work boot? <br>One more question - has anyone you know of contracted skin cancer?<br>I just want to know if I should be using something or doing something different, I'm not poking fun. I have been doing this in the sun (yes, the sun does shine in Wisconsin) for 5 years and I always have the best and earliest tan but I want to know what I'll look like in 15 more of sun exposure. Thanks for your help. ed
Old 04-11-2000, 07:05 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I spent the first 19 years of my life on a farm, 2 years in the Army, 20 years as a carpenter, and 15 years mowing. I have been outside for many years, but I always wear a cap and I have wore hearing protection for the past 4 years that also covers my ears. Ears are one thing that gets skin cancer very easy, so protect them some how. I haven't used anything on my arms all these years, but I guess I've been lucky. Not all people are this lucky, but I don't look like a worn out boot either. Most people are surprised I'm 56 and tell me I don't look that old. Maybe they are just being kind. You can never be to safe. <p>I notice around here that people with dark skin wear long sleeves even when it's 100 degrees, so it has to be to protect their skin from the sun. I know they can't be cold walking behind a W/B on a 100 degree day. Anyway, be safe.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<p><p>
Old 04-11-2000, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just wear a baseball style hat,t shirt and<br>long trousers.Back of my neck tends to get<br>burnt a bit.Have history of skin cancer in<br>my family,so I should know better.Been working out doors most of my life.
Old 04-11-2000, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ever wonder why the state troopers/highway patrol wear those funny &quot;smokey the bear&quot; wide brim hats??? <br>Need to protect yourself as much as possibe, but still be comfortable. If you use blood pressure meds..this is more so.The meds make your skin more sensitive to sunlight.<br>Here in sunny Ca.,I use combonation 45 sunblock, when possible, cover up as much exposed skin. Need to re-apply sunblock even if waterproof on a regular basis. I don't want to go through what my dad has to go through for skin cancer treatmeant.<p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044
Old 04-11-2000, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mow ed,<p>I, like Eric grew up on a farm. My dad got skin cancer on his neck when he was 43. The result of many years working in the sun. He did wear skin screen and hats. He also got prostrate cancer when he was 53 which killed him by the age of 54. A lot of us in the family wonder if it was due to years of exposure to chemicals like Roundup and other sprays. He used to spray with a open cab tractor pulling a 100' sprayer. Not good, lot's of sun and lots of spray drift. When I took over on the farm. That was the first thing I did differently. I replaced the old Oliver open cab tractor with a 7520 JD with cab to pull the sprayer. I believe protecting oneself is very important.
Old 04-11-2000, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

MY WIFE'S FAMILY HAS A HISTORY OF SKIN CANCER,IT SEEMS LIKE EVERY MONTH SOMEONE IS GOING IN TO HAVE SOMETHING LOOKED AT AND OR REMOVED.MOSTLY FROM EARS,NOSE,NECK AREAS. BEING IN THE SOD,CATTLE,AND ORANGE BUSINNESS THEY'VE BEEN OUTDOORS,BUT ALWAYS WITH HATS AND SHIRTS.YOU DO NEED SUNBLOCK!!AND SOME TYPE OF HAT.I'M ONLY 30 AND HAVE HAD A &quot;SOFT&quot;SPOT ON MY NOSE SINCE HIGHSCHOOL SURFING DAYS.BE CAUTIOUS!!!<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
Old 04-11-2000, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

there are some good landscaper hats available that keep your head cool and air to flow, if you have fair skin you are more prone to skin cancer just get regular check ups and if you see any new spots on your skin get them checked<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 04-11-2000, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in Wisconsin also, and I wear a Greg Norman type hat. The brim covers my ears and most of my neck. I also wear 30+ sunblock (ears, nose and neck get the most attention), never take my (short sleeve) shirt off outdoors, and wear long pants, even on the hottest days. I have fair skin, and while there's no history of skin cancer in my family, nobody did what I do for a living, so that doesn't mean much.<p>Staying alive means much more to me than a nice tan (besides, I don't tan very well anyway).<p><br>With all that, I usually only get tan on the backs of my hands, and my forearms.