Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2006, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Two questions involving walker mowers

First question is does $9400.00 sound like a good price for a band new MTGHS 20, with a 9.5 catcher, and a 42" deck? Also does anybody know if the brand new model Ts have the new bigger blower and the larger holes in the the screen inside the grass catcher.

Next with the purchase of this machine, what is anybodies opinion on pricing. Do I keep my price the same because I can do my work faster and add more jobs or do I raise my prices because I am now using a much nicer more expensive piece of equipment.
2007 Load Trail Dump Trailer
2007 Load Trail 18' 14000' Equipment Trailer
Big Tex 16' Trailer
---Removable 3' sides Trailer
2006 Walker GHS26EFI
Honda HRC216 Mower
2 Echo 210 String Trimmer
Echo HC 2000 Hedge Trimmer
2 Echo PB610 Blower
310 Stihl Chainsaw
170 Stihl Chainsaw
Solo Backpack Sprayers
Boss 7'6" V-Plow
Erskine 8' Snow Pusher
Old 03-31-2006, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesetter2001
First question is does $9400.00 sound like a good price for a band new MTGHS 20, with a 9.5 catcher, and a 42" deck? Also does anybody know if the brand new model Ts have the new bigger blower and the larger holes in the the screen inside the grass catcher.

Next with the purchase of this machine, what is anybodies opinion on pricing. Do I keep my price the same because I can do my work faster and add more jobs or do I raise my prices because I am now using a much nicer more expensive piece of equipment.
I don't know about the new ones but that's about the price (with tax) that I paid for the same mower a couple of years ago. I don't know about the blower but I do know that the screen with larger holes has always been an optional accessory.

I wouldn't raise my prices because I bought a new, nicer mower. Working faster should make you more money per man hour though Walkers aren't necessarily the most productive machine out there. When mine dies, I think I'm gonna stick with walkbehinds. My new Toro hydro 36 is more productive than the 42" Walker.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just noticed you're in Sunriver - with your typically dry climate, you sure you can't get away with mulching most of the year rather than using the GHS? You might want to save yourself some dough and get a walkbehind with sulky and accelerator bag. You'll mow faster, have more options (bagging vs. not bagging) and it will do the same job as the Walker. The new Toro's have a built in adjustable baffle for mulching - might want to take a look at them.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48" MTGHS. Don't know why anyone would want the 42" deck unless you had to go thru gates less the 47" wide. I've often wished I had a 52" deck on mine. But I bought a 52" tiger cub instead.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That is a very fair price. I had a machine just like that for 6 years, and loved it. I really liked the cut of the 42" deck. If you can afford it, you might want to buy a 42" mulching deck. I used my GHS deck in the spring and fall, but ran the mulch deck the rest of the year, when cleanup was not a factor. The mulch deck also has a great cut.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

walker mt20ghs

i just bought a new mt 20 ghs 42 inch deck yesterday paid 9800.00 for it. the 10.5 inch bigger blower was an option, which i got with it. along with the 9.5 hopper. i wouldn't raise my prices for mowing. if people want the clipings removed i would charge for that. only.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

anything over nine is too high. dealer cost is around eight.

SFLQPRU President

L.G.U.!
*iowaflag*
:sfl flag:
Old 04-03-2006, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Walker pricing

Who cares what you pay if the dealer does not stand up for what he sells.

Case in point: I bought a new Walker from the only dealer in central Oregon last September and i am still awaiting for them to make good on the promises that they made to me. Two letters and over ten emails and nothing. Nothing.
I love my walker(s) but if your thinking of buying anything from this dealer, do think again. ie: Workensport Sucks!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

So what are the promises that they are not taking care of. Who is the salesman that you deal with. I have never really cared for workensport do to issues with a snowmobile I bought but I know I want a walker and I don't really want to drive to the valley. I am already having trouble with the salesman not calling back. He is going to find out today that I am not messing around and that his not calling me back when he said he would may cost him. I am thinking about calling there distributer directly.
2007 Load Trail Dump Trailer
2007 Load Trail 18' 14000' Equipment Trailer
Big Tex 16' Trailer
---Removable 3' sides Trailer
2006 Walker GHS26EFI
Honda HRC216 Mower
2 Echo 210 String Trimmer
Echo HC 2000 Hedge Trimmer
2 Echo PB610 Blower
310 Stihl Chainsaw
170 Stihl Chainsaw
Solo Backpack Sprayers
Boss 7'6" V-Plow
Erskine 8' Snow Pusher
Old 04-03-2006, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder about Walkers. The John Deere dealership is part of the Lenon Implement which has several dealerships. They are the only Walker dealer close by. They haven't got one new Walker on their lot and haven't for well over a year. You want one, you gotta order it. And parts seem to be more difficult to get. Story I got last summer was they were switching parts distributors and there was additional lag time. Dealership couldn't even give me an estimated date of delivery.

Don't get me wrong, my Walker is nice but it has it's pitfalls as well. Service and maintenance are a nightmare.