Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2006, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Smartest purchace so far...

The 36" walker mower!

I have saved myself so much walking on small lawns it's not funny. I did 9 in a row this morning with that little walker and just had a grin from ear to ear with every back yard gate I was able to sneak through. I'm sitting down and catching the grass like it needs to be done. It even traverses hills really well, which was a suprise to me, I thought it wouldn't climb well at all!

My small lawns that I used to "cheat" on and use the 50" ZTR on the front and then have to walk the back I can now cut with one mower. The walker dosn't leave turn marks in wet soil like the big ZTR can, and it lays nice stripes for the small lawns too.

The mower is a model S, which is only an 11hp kaw. Suprisingly it has ample power for most jobs. Like all walkers, they aren't speed deamons. Reguardless I'm able to cut as fast as I need too. Some lawns are soooo bumpy from the nightcrawlers you just can't go too fast... lol.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was also thinking about buying a 36" wb, I heard they are really productive and also the do great in fenced in abck yards!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinerCutslawnCare
I was also thinking about buying a 36" wb, I heard they are really productive and also the do great in fenced in abck yards!
i think he was referring to a 36" Walker, not a 36"wb.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

They are great mowers. I have one and will always have one. They aren't for every situation but which mower is? Congrats on the new purchase, I know it will make you cash and ease your work.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Jason, I sent you a pm.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Member

If I were starting my lawn care company all over again....I'd have a small 6 X 10 open trailer, a used longbed Chevy S-10, a 36" walk behind mower, a Lesco spreader, Stihl Blower and Trimmer. I'd do nothing but small town/city residentials cleanups, fertilizations, mowings and trimmings. I'd have no employees. I'd have no debt to service. My insurances would be cheap. I'd make great money in 35 weeks. I wouldn't plow in the winter.

Gone are my days of huge trucks, 10 employees, over sized trailers, heavy expensive Zturn mowers.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I use a Walker MCGHS with a 36" deck. It works great for the type of properties I service. A lot of times I don't even need to un-rack the line trimmer because I can get into so many tight places with such control. I love it. The only problem I have is a solution for clippings. Right now I use a 50 gal rectangular Rubbermaid tub to dump in and then transfer to a normal (lined) trash can. I sure would like to refine that process. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-04-2006, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The big problem with the Walker is they don't make a 36" mulching deck...we got a Walker and now went to Wright Sentar Sport 36" for mulching. It is actually a better unit than the Walker for small yards...since you can mulch. Don't get me wrong we still use the Walker for bagging jobs on rye grass and general cleanup and like it a lot but I only paid $1500 for it.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I forgot to mention that this is a USED machine I bought. All seemed fine and dandy untill I ran it a few times and then it started acting up, not running right, backfiring and so on. Took 2 different shops (first just swore it was junk in the carb.) the second figured out that the ignition module was going out, but it was away for 2 weeks... I FINALLY got it back last saturday and it ran soooo nice for me monday. I went out today and needed it on my first lawn for the back yard. Welp, the NEW belt I had put on the blade drive decided to shread apart in 3 places!!!

Tonight it was too late to get a new belt so I replaced the bad one with the old one that I thought was slipping. I added 5 shim washers to the spring tensioner to make the belt tighter and it seems to be fine again.

THIS IS WHY I HATE USED EQUIPMENT!!! Not that I have much luck with NEW stuff either.

MY NEW Dixon left me stranded 2 times today with what seemed like a dead battery. I had to jump it 2 times with my other mower to get it started and it had only sat for 15 to 20 minutes both times. I checked the battery terminals, both are tight and look fine. I wiggled every lever that has a saftey switch too and still couldn't get more than a few clicks from the starter. Sure had me baffled, and pissed.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jason

Congratulations on the new Kodiak I'm looking real hard at one myself and if we can put together the financing I'll have it tomorrow. What engine are you running? I was impressed with how smooth both the deck and hydro system is on the machine.