Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2006, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Interested in the business...

Was just trying to put together numbers on equipment... but I want to make sure I get something top of the line that will not lag me behind in order to maximize the amount of yards I can cut in a day. As far as mowers go... what is the best as far as making the yard looked as if it was bagged? What brand is the most durable in terms of edgers and weedeaters? Any type of equipment advice would be appreciated... thanks!
Old 04-06-2006, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well, you're going to get mixed revies on all mowers. as far as edgers go, redmax seems to be the favorite, they are really good, but expensive, i use echo, and they are great. there is also stihl. making the grass look like it was bagged? well the best way is to bag it :-). but seriously, mulching is a good way, it's what i do. also, for leaf cleanup, you might want to see if you can get baggers for your products.

2005 GMC sierra 2500 4x4
2000 Chevy Astro 4.3l vortec V6
2006 Simplicity Broadmoor
2005 Lawn Boy 21" walk behind
2006 Craftsman 21" 6.0 HP push
2005 tow behind spreader, dethatcher, aerator
2006 5X8 trailer
2005 Echo gt-200R
a slew of hand tools
The list goes on

Rome wasn't built in a day, but they didn't have me working on that project
Old 04-06-2006, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

mikes right ur gonna get mix reveiws and people will tell you whats best to use...a lot of guys run red max hand helds, i will be up for a new blower this year and i will prob give in lol...but i go with echo most of the time...for a mower u want to get something commercial grade with a good dealer...if the dealer is good than its all good...ive run toro, scag gravely, exmark and feris, i like the gravel and feris walkbehind, and i like the exmark ztr...i went with gravely b.c my dealer is a family friend and is a great guy who lives next to the shop, he has opened it up on sundays and got me what i needed...so i say dealer is one of the key factors
echo trimmers
red max back pack blower
sthil chain saws

My Page:
[url]http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=258151[/]

...love what you do, do what you love, life is good...
Old 04-06-2006, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much money you got? How many lawns you have? If you are just starting out then a scag 36" w/b is great if you do stuff under an acre. Need a leaf vac. Get atleast a 16 hp and a dump. If you don't have the money then it doesn't matter anyway. I think we may need more info. How much money you have and the market share you are trying to attract and how big of a business.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I was just running numbers... I more than likely wouldn't start this year, but would work on buying equipment towards next year.... maybe start off late and small this year to get used to the routine. The reason I like the idea is because I live in the Memphis area which has 5 major suburban areas: Arlington, Bartlett, Cordova, Germantown, and Collierville. Lots of business out there to be tapped into. I would probably go all out on the mower... I saw an Exmark 60" with UltraVac that sounds like it would do what I need with the 3 bag system. Very expensive though it seems... about $9500 right?
Old 04-07-2006, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brjohnso
I was just running numbers... I more than likely wouldn't start this year, but would work on buying equipment towards next year.... maybe start off late and small this year to get used to the routine. The reason I like the idea is because I live in the Memphis area which has 5 major suburban areas: Arlington, Bartlett, Cordova, Germantown, and Collierville. Lots of business out there to be tapped into. I would probably go all out on the mower... I saw an Exmark 60" with UltraVac that sounds like it would do what I need with the 3 bag system. Very expensive though it seems... about $9500 right?
$9500 with the bagger ya right at least around here your lucky to touch just the mower for that! The bagger is another $2100 or so, I know my 31 HP XS was $12,600 with the bagger installed!
Old 04-07-2006, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I had looked on EBAY... it was a 2004 model and he said he had paid $9500... didn't know they would've increased that much over 2 years. In my area, most have a hatch compartment that is a white square in the back that looks to be some sort of bagging system. What kind of bagging system is that?