Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2006, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dodge Diesel Dump

Talked to a buddy of mine who is looking to sell his 98 dodge ram 3500 2 wheel drive with a dump bed. the truck needs a paint job, but mechanically he said its sound might need 2 or 3 new tires. The truck has 110,000 miles and its a 24 valve cummins turbo diesel. It has all the power options and is decent inside. so my question is around what price would be good for something like that and what sort of problems or things should i be worried about with a truck like that one?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

The truck is probably a P/U with the standard bed removed and a dump bed put on it. That really isn't as good the truck probably only carries 2000lbs I would also be worried about the strength of the chassis.

The problem with Dodge is the truck itself the engine is good the rest of it is a POS. Dodge never really built a cab and chassis truck.

I'd prolly pass and find another truck.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the early 24 V is not considered too optimal either, (fuel pump failures...dieseltruckresource.com) tho I do have a 'cab and chassis' 1st gen (they were considerably tougher, tho not as powerful, plenty of 'free power mods') I have a longer WB, + bigger brakes + stouter springs (not too spectacular...) It (93) is built whimpier than my '78 forest service version w/ 4:56 4x4 running gear (goes ~ 35mph comfortably) I have an electric dump on it (not optimal, but I got my $500 worth from this truck, as I pulled my Dozer quite a few times, and delivered many loads of 3' landscape boulders. A 1T dump is pretty limited, best for firewood, chips and bark. (low density), but handy, none the less

janb
Old 04-20-2006, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Dodge most certainly did make a dedicated cab/chassis. You can verify this by the cab to rear axle distance as well as the flat profile of the rear frame rails. As Gravel Rat says, if you don't see these features it is a converted pick-up and not worth the headache.

A 98 is not a 24 Valve unless it is a 98.5. At 110k it should have all its OEM issues sorted, but take it to a Cummins shop first and have a fuel pressure test performed. I have 3 of these trucks and have done very well by them all.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I think they actually did make a cab/chassis model for the late 90's body style Dodge. They just have not made a cab/chassis for the 2003 and up Ram models until fall of 2006 when the Ram cab/chassis debuts.

I know a lot of people around town who have had better luck with Dodges than Fords or Chevys. To each their own. Personally, I think, aside from the tempermental auto trans, that the Rams from that era were great trucks. I have a gas model with 160K mi. that has never left me stranded. But Ford has also had its tranny problems during that era even though they are good trucks, also. GM in my opinion makes the best gas engines/auto trannys in the business. But the Cummins is the best for diesels.

For price, since its a 2WD, I'd say $10-12 thousand??

If you could get it for around that price, or less, I think you would be doing O.K. if you bought it.

I don't think you could go wrong with buying a Dodge.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If it is 10k I would jump on it.

Gravel Rat as usual does not know what the hell he talking about and bashes everything but Ford. I have a cab and chassis dodge(12 ft bed) and I just installed a dump bed on it. I hauled 2 fresh pallets of sod on it last week... so that was easily over 4k.