Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2006, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walker shear pin question

I recently bought the walker with a 56" side discharge. I'm finding that after 2 hours or so the shear pin on the pto (the one just before it enters the blade drive line) will break off when I engage the blades. I've tried lowering the rpms before engaging but it still only last a little time. Have any of you had this problem? Can I get a little tougher pin? Is it because of the size of the deck and number of blades? Thanks for help.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a Walker 48" cut(2blade) only sheared 1 pin in two seasons, I engage my blades with the machine at full throttle. Sounds like a visit to the dealer is needed.

Good Luck
Old 04-25-2006, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have to Walkers a 62" and a 48" and I also pull it when its at full throttle, i have had the 62" for 1 year and has about 250 hrs and the 48" bagger only about 12 hours but have never had any problems with that on any of them, they have worked perfectly and only had to replace maybe a belt or two...it should still be under warranty if you just recently bought it and just take it in and tell them whats up and they should be able to figure it out.., if not tell me a better detailed description of whats wrong because we have a Walker Maintenance man here in my town and he knows everything there is to know about walkers...
Old 04-25-2006, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replys. I only have 5 hours on the machine and I did take it in on the first pin. They recommended engaging the blade at low throttle so I have but am still have the pin shear.

Collegepro, The pin is a small black pin that has a small clevis pin on the end. It runs completly through the shaft. The pin is located just in front of the "knucke" with all the grease zerks on it. I believe it's the only pin that There is before it enter the line that runs between the blade gear boxes.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

OK ya that is weird i would say for only 5 hours and haveing this problem twice is kinda weird, but I will ask my buddy tom what he thinks or what you should do and try to get back at ya...but yea i understand what you are saying in the description but i have never had the problem so I couldn't really tell ya whats wrong...but other than that I would never change mowers...walkers to me are the best in any type, these machines will fly and cut perfectly i love them, i would recommend when you get larger get the walker ghs (bagger) incredible, best bagging unit i have ever used or seen,,.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

college, I just got off the phone with a local guy who has them as well. He's had a few problems but thought maybe it just needs to get broke in a little. Ask your Mech. if this could be the case as well. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I always engage the PTO at HALF throttle. Then I up the RPMs. Haven't sheared a pin yet.