Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2006, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yard Is Destroyed....help

This yard is in Northern Ontario. It was in pretty good shape last year. It originally had , kentucy blue, creeping fescue, and rye mix. End of last season it seemed ok......and now
Please help, the customers are not too happy.
Btw, the nieghbours yards are fine.

Thanks, Don
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2006, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well, I see the shallow aeration holes and the soil doesn't look all packed out...water? fert? bug damage? what's been done between when it looked good and now?
Old 05-19-2006, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenUtah
well, I see the shallow aeration holes and the soil doesn't look all packed out...water? fert? bug damage? what's been done between when it looked good and now?
Just good ol winter!
Old 05-19-2006, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenlo
Just good ol winter!
hmmm...so then your theory says that all the lawns in the area would have the same damage. Actually, was it seeded in real late, leaving just small, tender plants going into the winter? when was that aeration done?..we know a little bit about snow and winter here(I know, you're thinking we're all desert, aren't you!) after all, we hosted the last north american winter olympics and not 20 minutes from where I sit, snowfall each season can be over 500 inches..our lawns don't look like that after each winter..lol
Old 05-19-2006, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenUtah
Actually, was it seeded in real late, leaving just small, tender plants going into the winter?
Actually it was left over the winter. No, I don't think you live in the desert. And no I didn't forget to say it was overseeded.

So..... it was not overseeded or areated (the holes in the on pic are from a ph tester. The lawn was good last fall and nothing (to my knowledge) has been done since!

And maybe try saying something positive in your next post! All I wanted was some advice.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcatservice

I would ferlize 18-24-12 about 4-5 lbs per k 50% release you can not hurt it. Lime 40 per k and over seed with a tall fescue. Im not sure what kent. blue will do in that climate. Im sure you still dont have good germination up there yet with such cool evenings we have here in Md.
Mike
Old 05-22-2006, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
So..... it was not overseeded or areated (the holes in the on pic are from a ph tester. The lawn was good last fall and nothing (to my knowledge) has been done since!

And maybe try saying something positive in your next post! All I wanted was some advice.
And all I was asking you for was more information so that I could give you some! lol..resodding can be a spendy proposition that may not give you a long term solution if you don't identify what took down, what was, a healthy lawn in the first place. Does the soil in your area typically require lime? How old was the existing turf? Shade? Irrigation? what was the difference between this lawn and others in the neighborhood that made it through winter just fine? What a pig that would be to resod and have the exact same thing happen again over next winter!
Old 05-19-2006, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No way to tell what did it at this point. It needs to be reseeded. Aerate it, then slice seed it. Might not hurt to spray the entire thing with round up first.
Good luck
Old 05-23-2006, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
This yard is in Northern Ontario. It was in pretty good shape last year. It originally had , kentucy blue, creeping fescue, and rye mix. End of last season it seemed ok......and now
Please help, the customers are not too happy.
Btw, the nieghbours yards are fine.

Thanks, Don
Is the grass/weed tall fescue?