Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2006, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great Dane

48 inch with a 17 hp kawi, electric start. $3100. Brand new. Should I order it? I have to let my dealer know tomorow so he knows how many to order while I can still get the deal.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That has to be a Scamper HG model for that kind of price. They have the integrated hydros and there have been a lot of problems. A LOT of problems! Great Dane also has terrible parts and service support.

Run away as fast as you can! Spend more money and get a better, more reliable brand name.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

<< That has to be a Scamper HG model for that kind of price. They have the integrated hydros and there have been a lot of problems. A LOT of problems! Great Dane also has terrible parts and service support.

Run away as fast as you can! Spend more money and get a better, more reliable brand name. >>

I just got a 2000-2002 Great Dane walk behind, that also has the hydros and wheel motors in one unit. Would the hydros on my mower be problematic too? I just need advice, because this will determine whether or not I keep the mower I have, or sell it and get something better.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you mean by integrated hydros ? My dealers is good and reliable when it comes to parts and service so I dont see that being a problem. There are like 3-4 companies around here that run them as their main machines and I have never heard of any problems with them.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I gotta tell ya, I don't know much about the intergrated hydro statement. However I have a Great Dane 61" ZTR and love it. I have a really good dealer. The couple of small problems I have had the dealer had is taken care of within 24hrs. And actually one of the problems I had was with the 25HP Kaw, I can't blame that on Great Dane. The other problem was with a saftey switch. I have about 500 hours on it and it runs and responds great. I am the only one that uses it if that makes a huge difference but I don't baby it. As far a hydro motors/transmissions. I have a Ferris that the motor went out in and I have heard of hydro problems with all brands. I always wonder if it was the operator not the brand.

I am only familiar with chariot ZTR and like I said no probs at all.
52" ferris with velky 17HP Kaw
61" Great Dane ZTR 26HP Kaw
2 echo trimmers
echo hand help blower
redmax backpack blower
crapsman edger
echo hedge trimmer
chainsaws
Crapsman tiller
Blue Bird aerator
NOT ONE ENGINE THAT TAKES THE SAME SPARKPLUG
Old 06-25-2006, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticLandscape
What do you mean by integrated hydros ? My dealers is good and reliable when it comes to parts and service so I dont see that being a problem. There are like 3-4 companies around here that run them as their main machines and I have never heard of any problems with them.
Check with your dealer to see if these are Scamper HG machines.

Integrated hydros are cheaper homeowner type drive systems that have the pump and the motor together in one housing, not seperate pumps and motors like most commercial hydro machines.

Again, if these are the Scamper HG mowers run...dont' walk away!! There is a reason that they are so cheap!
Old 06-25-2006, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

THird day they are the scamper machines. Why do you say they are so bad? Have you heard bad things? Had bad experiences? Do you work on them? Whats your story..
Old 06-25-2006, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 52" Great Dane Gateway which has well over 2,000 hrs never a problem except for a spindle and that was recent. I would buy it for that price! Parts are hard to get for it sometimes depending on what it is. They break down so UNoften that its nothing to worry about. Bobcats ect. dealers keep a lot of parts in for a reason its because they break constantly and at the worst possible time too, I know because I have one of those too and know plenty of people who complain about the same thing. I don't know about that drive system mine has parker hydros so I can't comment on that.
Good Luck!!!
Old 06-25-2006, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I would be more than a little careful about buying a Great Dane branded machine. The company has been sold twice in the last few years. First, to JD. Then, a year or so ago, to Everide. Distributors, dealers,machine models, and parts flow are all in a state of change. Our distributor does not even know what machines are Everide design, and what machines are the old Great Dane design. Nor does anyone seem to know if Great Dane machines will continue to be produced. If so, they may nor be the same machines you see now. In other words, there is a very good chance that you are buying an orphan machine that will not be very well supported in a year or so.
Then again, maybe nothing will change, but, you are taking a big risk.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
I would be more than a little careful about buying a Great Dane branded machine. The company has been sold twice in the last few years. First, to JD. Then, a year or so ago, to Everide. Distributors, dealers,machine models, and parts flow are all in a state of change. Our distributor does not even know what machines are Everide design, and what machines are the old Great Dane design. Nor does anyone seem to know if Great Dane machines will continue to be produced. If so, they may nor be the same machines you see now. In other words, there is a very good chance that you are buying an orphan machine that will not be very well supported in a year or so.
Then again, maybe nothing will change, but, you are taking a big risk.
Ariens bought the assets of Auburn Consolidated Industries (ACI) who before they went under owned Everride and Great Dane. Apparently Ariens had a bunch of Gravely Pro Stance units that were already paid for that were not delivered when they went under.