Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2006, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Got Chaps?

Got my bill from the hospital today, hedge clipper to the knee and 3 stitches.
528.16---------That equals 7 pairs of chaps.
I haven't gotten the bill from the doctor yet.
I DO have a pair of chaps now, loaners until mine come in.
Funny, I talked to a guy at the shop on friday about chaps etc... He was buying a pair of clippers. His eyes glazed over about the subject.
Funny how stupid people can be sometimes.
I didn't know this type of injury was so common or I would have had them before now. I just wanna shake all you guys by the shoulders if you don't have any or think it won't happen to you. I could use that money for better things as you probably would agree. Tony
btw....This is the most active forum so, I thought posting here was appropriate.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is sorta like getting shocked on a trimmer you will be less likely to do it again. Were you wearing good quality pants, usually that will prevent major injury? I am wondering if that guard thing that everybody takes off would prevent this type of injury?
Old 08-12-2006, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Got nailed about 3 inches above my knee by my HS80's early this spring. Still havent bought chaps and still have the scars to prove what I did. I didnt get stiches although 3 or 4 would have reduced the snake bite looking digs in my thigh. Oh well live and learn, ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Thank god it wasnt my MS361 chainsaw or I would have amputated my damn leg.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I got my left knee 2 yrs ago...6 stitches and my right forearm about 4 weeks ago...8 stitches!

Never thought about chaps..not a bad idea. I do wear heavy leather gloves now. May give some thought to chaps.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

No pant is gonna protect you from those blades.
I picked up some loaner chaps the next day and wore shorts under them. Not uncomfortable at all.
I should have known because last year I did some right of way work and wore chaps every day.
Anyway, I've operated hedge clippers and chain saws all of my life and never had an accident.
I'll be protected from now on. I hope some of you guys get the message and learn from my mistake. If it had been a chainsaw, I would have cut my leg off aboue the knee.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Old 08-17-2006, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I got the final bill from the hedgeclipper ordeal. The doctor bill is $424.00. Add that to the $528.16 hospital bill for a grand total of $952.16.
All for 3 stitches.
I wish I had a block of C-4.
Nope, I would have a hard time figuring out who needed it the most. Politicians, lawyers, doctors, hospital administrators, insurance companies or maybe their stockholders. Who the hell is to blame for this nonsense?
Anyway, I wish had worn chaps.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Old 08-17-2006, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Caught myself just above the knee a few years back. A few stitches and a scar to remind me. I went to a doc in a box so it didn't cost me that much. I still don't wear chaps.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharrell
Well, I got the final bill from the hedgeclipper ordeal. The doctor bill is $424.00. Add that to the $528.16 hospital bill for a grand total of $952.16.
All for 3 stitches.
Nope, I would have a hard time figuring out who needed it the most. Politicians, lawyers, doctors, hospital administrators, insurance companies or maybe their stockholders. Who the hell is to blame for this nonsense?
It's all of those sue-happy greedy sob's who think they should get millions over a simple Doc error... they make mistakes too, and all of us pay for it with high insurance and/or over-the-top hospital bills.

You went straight to the E.R... right?
Take a few minutes next time, grab a phone book, call a few Doc offices to find one that will stitch you up, many will because they know it will be good money for quick work compared to their daily grind of office visits for allergies, pap-spears and the rest. Mine told me he feels a bit more like a real Doc when he actually gets to fix someone without a pill.
However, don't tell the Doc's office that it was a power tool that bit you - they might say no because they fear addition inner damage such as tendons, etc. Just tell them sharp metal.
Of course go to the E.R. if you really have an emergency.

By avoiding the E.R. you cut the cost by more than half - my last cut cost me about $375 for 6 and took 15 minutes.

And lastly, go do something else when the hedger gets heavy and you start to struggle with it... clean up some of the mess until your arms catch up.
If you keep going with arm fatigue your asking for it.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
All for 3 stitches.

I wish I could buy everything I need to stitch myself up. I've watched them stitch me up a few times and I'm pretty sure any idiot that can sew a button on could stitch him/herself up on their own. My mom is a RN so maybe I'll ask her to hook me up with the goods and next time there will be no huge bill.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
All for 3 stitches.
Does'nt that just CHAP your Azz!!!!!!!!!!!