Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2006, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Dixie Choppers

I was wandering what you guys on here think about them.Those of you that have them or no people that do. I havent really seen much of anything said about them on this site and just wanted some input from others.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2006, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dixie makes an awsome mower. Alot of pepole bash them for whatever reason, "I dont like them cause there ugly" . There made to last a long time , cut grass ,last forever and do it fast. A DC will not be as good on hills as a Hustler or somthing with a lower center of gravity but they will cut at full speed. The lack of an eletric clutch alows you you to run doubles and IMO that is an awsome feature. However IMO there deck height adjustment sucks. So like anyother mower they have there pros and cons. Demo one and see what ya like. Im eye ballin a 50" Flatlander w/ 27 hp Generac right now. The demo was amazing.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, actually I just bought that 50 last week, it is excellent , halls a.s and cuts good. Deck adjustment does seem to be a little sh.ty. Its just I never really see anything on this board about them.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just put a deposit down on one today. The guy i'm buying from in the one who came up with the x blade and the bracket to cross 2 blades and 90 degrees. I also saw his prototype blower system. there is a blower mounted to the deck that blows air into the boot as grass gets discharged, then it is accelerated up the tube into the bagger. It will be on the market next year. No more rocks and sticks wearing out the fans. I think dixies are great on hills if you mount a weight on the back of them. They also have an electric lift for the decks now. you set a pin at your height and flip the switch and the deck lowers to that height. life time warrenty on lift. I just wish they could come up with a foot pedal to lift the deck up quickly for going over those small rocks like the exmark lazers have
Old 08-14-2006, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I've got a 50" Coatesville Classic. It's a great mower, but it may not have all the bells and whistles of some of the higher end mowers. All in all, it alot of mower for the price.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

love ours only downside its not meant for hills its slides everywhere
Old 08-14-2006, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have demoed them several times in several configurations. I can't stand em. Do they cut nice... yes. I don't think they neccesarily discharge the grass great, but they cut clean. I believe they would likely last along time with little maintenance. Other then that, I find no redeaming qualities. I think they are poor on hills, I think any slope they make turning a nightmare. I can not stand the deck lift on the higher end models. I do not like the manual clutch even though it is likely a strong point in other ways. I could never get the decks high enough to get on my trailers without bottoming out where I could get other mowers on without problem. I do not like their manuverability and I do not mean they are too sensative. I think they feel like they have to much roll and do not compare to other riders. The increments for mowing height are inferior to other models on the professional models.I would own just about any other major brand rider before I would look at a chopper. Inovative in some ways, but obstinate to change other things that need updateing. Personally I think the more inexpensive units are superior because of the deck lift, height adjustments, and electric clutch.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” - Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-14-2006, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dixie Chopper are a very good mower. I have two of them on 04 and 07 and plan to add another 07 in the spring. If you want a mower that can take anything you throw at it pick dixie chopper. I have put my 04 to the test and hasn't failed me yet.

Michael Vickers, Owner
Quality Lawncare & Landscape Management, LLC
"Northern Ohio's Elite Property Maintenance Company"
Phone (419) 296-2531 Fax (419) 991-4269

Serving Northern Ohio With Professional Landscape Maintenance

Old 08-15-2006, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have no doubt they are tough fast mowers. It's just the styling that I just can't get. Astro turf (carpet) on a mower. Generac engines (very popular amoung comercial mowers)? They look very old fashion and yes I've been told I just don't get it and your right. I don't. They remind me of something put together in a garage some where without alot of thought. Funtionally I would say they are great mowers but I just couldn't do it. The Extreme looks fair with the wide stance. They dance to thier own beat, I'll give them that. The run behing is one of the oddest looking contraptions I've ever laid my eyes on. I not knocking you Dixie guys, like I said they are a tough proven mower I just have a problem with the design being so out of step with the mainstream. The dixie bike looks good. If Generac is a good engine why is it not more popular with other comercial mowers? It has a rep as a gas hog and finding parts a nightmare. Just my honest thoughts. Not trying to make enimies, but no sense lying about my thoughts. And no suspension seat, come on Dixie.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've had 2 Dixies and I like them both. I still have my 2003 XW-2800 60.

To touch on Tacomas comments a little...

The carpet can easily be removed if you don't like it. I liked it well enough but I still removed the entire floor pan and replaced it with a piece of diamond plate aluminum to remove some weight from the front end. Works great.

Generac and Dixie worked hand in hand to develop the Generac engine for commercial mower use. That's why you see so many Dixies with the Generac engine. Dixies can also be purchased with a diesel and Kohler engines. Propane too if you like.

You're right, no suspension seat but they do have a set of suspension forks similar to what Hustler has. Dixie had them first.