Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2006, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Suggestions on new skid steer(S300 or simliar)

I am looking at purchasing a new skidsteer loader. it will be used to clear ~20 arces of underbrush and small pine trees and then get the land ready for pasture. I am looking for 1 machine that can do the most work. I know an excavator would be better to remove the trees, but I don't care if it takes alittle longer with one machine.

I am looking at a bobcat S300 gold package, standard controls, high flow, with steel tracks,
rotary cutter, root grapple.

I would like to get opinions on this set up as compared to other brands, sizes of machines,etc... I can afford the price of a tracked machine.
I would like to eventually find a used mulching attachment to clear the thicker trees out.

Thanks,
Brian Moore
Western NC
Old 08-15-2006, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Steel tracks SUCK. Get a track machine if cost is not a limiting factor, even if it is a Bobcat
Old 08-15-2006, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have any complaints about steel tracks and since it doesn't sound like this is a commercial operation I don't think I would spend the money on a tracked machine. We run the CASE 95XT with high flow cab AC and ride control. They can do a large amount work. You may want to demo one and see what you think. A 90XT or 450 same machine 450 is the latest version would also be fine for what your doing. The 450 is a radial lift the 95XT or 465 is a vertical lift machine same machine other than lift geometery. Extremely well built, they may be a little over built for what sounds like a hobby farmer.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

How does the bobcat compare to a Cat or Case in quality of design/build ability to do heavy work and cost.
The machine will be for personal use, but I do use the equipment as designed and sometimes beyond the design limits.

Thanks,
Brian Moore
Old 08-15-2006, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you in the mountains of Western NC? If you're going to be working on sloped terrain you may want to give more consideration to a track machine IMHO.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As far as cost the 465/95XT will be more money. CAT does not make a 3000 plus R.O.C. machine until you get in the tracked machines. If your talking Bobcat and CASE you will find the CASE will be more heavy duty, more power higher ROC. It would be highly unlikely that you will be able to push this machine beyond its engineered limits. The cab in the bobcat is better. The CASE cab has been improved on the 400 series but the cab on the Bobcat is still better. For the type of work your doing either machine would do fine. I would demo both and see which you prefer.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone looked at Gehl? The 7810E just came out and looks very promising. 3850 lift, 99hp, 41 GPM, large cab.

http://www.gehl.com/const/Product_De...gdt_7810E.html

I am seriously looking at it, I think I will demo it first.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Member

AWJ,
Can you tell me your experiences with the Bobcat track loaders. What is not as durable or well made. I have no experience with any track machine. I have ran alot of hours in an S185 skid steer and no problems.
I would like to have as much info as I can before I spend any of my money.

Thanks,
Brian Moore
Old 08-21-2006, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The wheel motors have given them tons of trouble.
I have several people how have repetitive failures every 500 too 800 hours.
The repair is several grand per side.
The factory dealer here who sells in this area will not replace them under warranty till they completely die.
Normally they give intermittent trouble first of randomly they will stop pulling.

Most have traded out of them when financially possible or when the extended warranty expires.

Bobcat makes a good machine .They say they have the wheel motor problem fixed.

I prefer Pilot controls and do not care for the suspended track machine.

Only one choice out there right now.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. We tested a T300 on the dealer lot. I thought it was a ruff ride on hard ground and it would spin the tracks instead of digging into the dirt pill. The S300 would dig better in hard ground and for $20+K less.
I can't see how the difference in upfront cost and maintance can be out weighed by the ability of the track machine. Our S185 with steel tracks will go any where we need to hills, mud, etc.. I will say that mud and hills combined will stop the machine.

Thanks,
Brian Moore