Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2006, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What do you think of these two trucks?

1) http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ng=&cardist=22

2) http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ng=&cardist=21

yes i know the diesel has a billion miles on it!lol just any input would be appreciated. Honestly though, i really like the 1997 Chevy Silverado reg. cab, the tan one.

thanks
mike

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 08-19-2006, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

the tan gasser is nice. 6.5 diesel is one of the worst diesels ever.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Go read my second reply in your other thread thread. Then, if you must go this route, go for the tan truck. Cheaper, gas, less miles, and doesn't have the worthless 6.5 diesel.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 08-19-2006, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scag48
Go read my second reply in your other thread thread.
Agreed.

Let me ask you this. Why do you need a 3/4Ton pickup? I saw your shed pictures a while back, and all you had was a 48"WB. Start off with a lower priced, low mile truck, like an S10 or Ranger, until you NEED the larger truck.

The only reason I say that is from experience. My old S10 worked wonders for me when I first started. Just have a V6. Those trucks you're looking at will be great, until they don't start or run.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWUllc
Agreed.

Let me ask you this. Why do you need a 3/4Ton pickup? I saw your shed pictures a while back, and all you had was a 48"WB. Start off with a lower priced, low mile truck, like an S10 or Ranger, until you NEED the larger truck.

The only reason I say that is from experience. My old S10 worked wonders for me when I first started. Just have a V6. Those trucks you're looking at will be great, until they don't start or run.
Im plowing and im putting a dump insert in the back, i don't just do mowing the majority of my work is landscape maintenance and new landscapes and hardscapes

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers

Last edited by mcwlandscaping; 08-19-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to bust your bubble man, and don't take this wrong way man because I was your age once. I'm 20 now, and I wanted all the landscaping business when I was 16, but it never happened. Focus on mowing, it's the most money you can make for a kid your age. Trust me dude, I've been there. I got into landscaping when the time was right and from there I got into excavation. At 16, the lawn maintenance is a big undertaking, don't try to take on the whole world. There's alot more money to be made in mowing for a kid your age than landscaping. Focus on getting a lawn empire built by buying the right trucks and equipment, don't get yourself spread out buying equipment for multiple divisions when you should just be focusing on one at this point. Do one thing well first, then expand from there. Once you have the lawn maintenance thing hammered down, a good customer base and a steady income, then extend yourself into other lines of service. Right now, you're trying to do it all. What happens if you get into the landscaping market and the demand goes soft? Get the lawn business extremely well structured and steady, then when you're ready to take on a new challenge you can afford to make some mistakes because they will happen, believe me on that. There will come a time where you screw something up or something comes along that is going to cost you out your @$$ and if you don't have that steady income from your lawn customers, you're outta biz bro.

Like I said, I'm not trying to shut you down because that always pissed me off too, people telling me I couldn't do stuff and I ended up proving them wrong, I'm just trying to help you out because I've been through it.

Go hard, go fast, or go home

Last edited by Scag48; 08-19-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scag48
Go read my second reply in your other thread thread. Then, if you must go this route, go for the tan truck. Cheaper, gas, less miles, and doesn't have the worthless 6.5 diesel.
i don't want to make it so dad has to find another vehicle for himself. Even though he's the one that said we could do that, i know he'd sell himself short and get something he really didn't want to just to save money and i really would feel like a total azz doing that. Its best for both of us if i get a truck

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
Old 08-19-2006, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwlandscaping
i don't want to make it so dad has to find another vehicle for himself. Even though he's the one that said we could do that, i know he'd sell himself short and get something he really didn't want to just to save money and i really would feel like a total azz doing that. Its best for both of us if i get a truck
He didn't sell himself short when he (maybe your mom or him and your mom) decided on a $1200 vacuum cleaner!
2006 TORO SR4 SUPER RECYCLER 21"/195CC B&S
2004 HUSTLER MINI Z 52"/23HP KAWASAKI
SHINDAIWA T231 TRIMMER
SHINDAIWA LE261 EDGER
SHINDAIWA EB630RT BACKPACK BLOWER
WEED EATER HEDGE TRIMMER
WEED EATER HANDHELD BLOWER
Old 08-19-2006, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie's Lawn Care
He didn't sell himself short when he (maybe your mom or him and your mom) decided on a $1200 vacuum cleaner!
LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you should have seen the look on his face when he walked in after work, saw it in the living room, and found out how much it cost!!lol, priceless facial expression!

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
Old 08-19-2006, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

By the way, screw getting a dump trailer. You should get a 3/4 since it will be so much more versatile with a dump insert. Can the front end of a suburban handle a plow that well. I don't know much about plowing, but I thought they were hard on the front ends. I also remember someone on here paying like 7K for a 7' X 14' dump trailer. Why not get a $5K truck and $2.5K dump insert? It's nice to be able to throw stuff in a truck bed anyways. I like your idea of getting a 3/4 ton and dump insert, atleast in opposition to getting a suburban.
2006 TORO SR4 SUPER RECYCLER 21"/195CC B&S
2004 HUSTLER MINI Z 52"/23HP KAWASAKI
SHINDAIWA T231 TRIMMER
SHINDAIWA LE261 EDGER
SHINDAIWA EB630RT BACKPACK BLOWER
WEED EATER HEDGE TRIMMER
WEED EATER HANDHELD BLOWER