Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2006, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

stuck blade

While mowing I accidentally hit a stump that was barely sticking out of the ground with my 60" lazer. I was changing the blades today and the side I hit the stump with will not come off, I used a impact wrench and got the other two off but I could not get the last one off. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks
Old 08-21-2006, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb
While mowing I accidentally hit a stump that was barely sticking out of the ground with my 60" lazer. I was changing the blades today and the side I hit the stump with will not come off, I used a impact wrench and got the other two off but I could not get the last one off. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks
You are going to need a breaker bar( long pipe) and stick your ratchet in it and use a peice of wood to hold the blade. That should get the bolt off. I would check the spindle and other stuff under there also, to see if it messed up something else.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premo Services
You are going to need a breaker bar( long pipe) and stick your ratchet in it and use a peice of wood to hold the blade. That should get the bolt off. I would check the spindle and other stuff under there also, to see if it messed up something else.
Yup... and also be alert to the fact that in the process YOU 'may' flex that blade to the point it will not spring back... causing it to be slightly out of whack... if it's not already destroyed.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 08-21-2006, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yup what ^^^^^^ he said. Use a big breaker bar. Im not sure how yours mount. If its a bolt all the way through. Take a 15/16 wrench for the top and a breaker bar undernesth. If its just a bolt on the bottom. Take a 2x4 to wedge the blade against the desk. That should work.

6 Years on Lawnsite
Old 08-21-2006, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb
You are probably gonna have to put some heat on that nut or bolt ( bolt I guess on the lazer). Like a blow torch of some kind. Then you can break it loose. Now I'm not talking red hot, but pour the heat to it for about 30 seconds and that should do it.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a couple ways to increase the loosening torque of a air gun. Increase the air pressure to the max avaiable. Sometimes the gun will have speed settings. Use fastest speed. If the bolt goes all the way through, put a wrench on the opposite side and back it against something solid. This gives the hammer in the gun something to hammer against. Also put some penetrating oil on the nut and threads. Don't be afraid to keep that trigger on for a while, sometimes when you are about ready to give up, it breaks.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've done the same thing with my Lazer. Take it to an automotive shop and ask them if they will take it off for you. Unless you've got a snap-on, matco, or other professional gun you won't get it off. They might even have a 3/4" gun that will take it off very easy. If you try and wedge the blade and use a breaker bar you will probably bend the blade- $15 bucks down the drain. The shop might charge $5 bucks to zip it off. Money and time well spent if you ask me.

You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadams
I've done the same thing with my Lazer. Take it to an automotive shop and ask them if they will take it off for you. Unless you've got a snap-on, matco, or other professional gun you won't get it off. They might even have a 3/4" gun that will take it off very easy. If you try and wedge the blade and use a breaker bar you will probably bend the blade- $15 bucks down the drain. The shop might charge $5 bucks to zip it off. Money and time well spent if you ask me.
That's what I do, for some reason auto repair guys seem to enjoy trying to get mower blades off... I normally give them $5 but sometimes even they refuse the money. A lot faster then messing with it yourself quite often.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses, I'll probably take it to the auto shop.