Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-21-2006, 04:31 PM
mnb's Avatar
mnb mnb is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: somewhere between here & there
Posts: 16
stuck blade

While mowing I accidentally hit a stump that was barely sticking out of the ground with my 60" lazer. I was changing the blades today and the side I hit the stump with will not come off, I used a impact wrench and got the other two off but I could not get the last one off. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Premo Services Premo Services is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb
While mowing I accidentally hit a stump that was barely sticking out of the ground with my 60" lazer. I was changing the blades today and the side I hit the stump with will not come off, I used a impact wrench and got the other two off but I could not get the last one off. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks
You are going to need a breaker bar( long pipe) and stick your ratchet in it and use a peice of wood to hold the blade. That should get the bolt off. I would check the spindle and other stuff under there also, to see if it messed up something else.
__________________
I went down to the Crossroads
Fell down on my knees
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Envy Lawn Service's Avatar
Envy Lawn Service Envy Lawn Service is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premo Services
You are going to need a breaker bar( long pipe) and stick your ratchet in it and use a peice of wood to hold the blade. That should get the bolt off. I would check the spindle and other stuff under there also, to see if it messed up something else.
Yup... and also be alert to the fact that in the process YOU 'may' flex that blade to the point it will not spring back... causing it to be slightly out of whack... if it's not already destroyed.
__________________
ENVY



"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-21-2006, 04:49 PM
ChadsLawn's Avatar
ChadsLawn ChadsLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Holiday,Florida
Posts: 1,112
yup what ^^^^^^ he said. Use a big breaker bar. Im not sure how yours mount. If its a bolt all the way through. Take a 15/16 wrench for the top and a breaker bar undernesth. If its just a bolt on the bottom. Take a 2x4 to wedge the blade against the desk. That should work.
__________________
_____________________________________________


6 Years on Lawnsite
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-21-2006, 11:27 PM
burns60 burns60 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Mississippi
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnb
While mowing I accidentally hit a stump that was barely sticking out of the ground with my 60" lazer. I was changing the blades today and the side I hit the stump with will not come off, I used a impact wrench and got the other two off but I could not get the last one off. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks
You are probably gonna have to put some heat on that nut or bolt ( bolt I guess on the lazer). Like a blow torch of some kind. Then you can break it loose. Now I'm not talking red hot, but pour the heat to it for about 30 seconds and that should do it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-21-2006, 11:55 PM
1grnlwn's Avatar
1grnlwn 1grnlwn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,257
There are a couple ways to increase the loosening torque of a air gun. Increase the air pressure to the max avaiable. Sometimes the gun will have speed settings. Use fastest speed. If the bolt goes all the way through, put a wrench on the opposite side and back it against something solid. This gives the hammer in the gun something to hammer against. Also put some penetrating oil on the nut and threads. Don't be afraid to keep that trigger on for a while, sometimes when you are about ready to give up, it breaks.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-22-2006, 01:13 AM
Tadams's Avatar
Tadams Tadams is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Cartersville, GA
Posts: 790
I've done the same thing with my Lazer. Take it to an automotive shop and ask them if they will take it off for you. Unless you've got a snap-on, matco, or other professional gun you won't get it off. They might even have a 3/4" gun that will take it off very easy. If you try and wedge the blade and use a breaker bar you will probably bend the blade- $15 bucks down the drain. The shop might charge $5 bucks to zip it off. Money and time well spent if you ask me.
__________________
TODD

You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-22-2006, 01:53 AM
HOOLIE's Avatar
HOOLIE HOOLIE is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadams
I've done the same thing with my Lazer. Take it to an automotive shop and ask them if they will take it off for you. Unless you've got a snap-on, matco, or other professional gun you won't get it off. They might even have a 3/4" gun that will take it off very easy. If you try and wedge the blade and use a breaker bar you will probably bend the blade- $15 bucks down the drain. The shop might charge $5 bucks to zip it off. Money and time well spent if you ask me.
That's what I do, for some reason auto repair guys seem to enjoy trying to get mower blades off... I normally give them $5 but sometimes even they refuse the money. A lot faster then messing with it yourself quite often.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-22-2006, 05:30 PM
mnb's Avatar
mnb mnb is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: somewhere between here & there
Posts: 16
Thanks

Thanks for all the responses, I'll probably take it to the auto shop.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:20 PM.

Page generated in 0.10127 seconds with 7 queries