Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2006, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Collecting money, WTF?

Im not sure why but it seems like ive constantly been up people butt to pay up this year, seems like its more than other years. ive even started to take credit cards, which has helped but still slow. not sure why people are so confused to why they have to pay up after we complete a $1500.00 clean-up, i get " oh no 30 days" then i say read your agreement where it states right next to where you sign, payment upon completion. its actually gettin worse, and from talking to some of my friends in the business im not the only one.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I get the same thing. Some will have the check ready before I'm even done, but most roll out when we're finishing up or not be home at all, causing me to hound them for the money. Just don't work for them next year.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know, If you dont like paying me then tell me to stop mowing. I spend more money trying to F***in get paid than anything else.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

why if they have a $500 bill they send $200 with no explanation and were supposed to be okay with that.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i get that too. they think that they can pay what they want... i spend more and more time between seasons each year trying to get payed in court . i just went last thursday lol , i dont get people, they think that they can get away with it!!!! so far knock on wood, (knock knock) ive never lost a court case . i think im an honest person and i expect my clients to be!!! i would love for the non payers to be in our shoes for a month, while trying to collect, see how they like it!!!
scag tiger cub 48
scag 52 hydro wb
stihl trimmers
sthil chain saws
stihl power brooms
york sweeper
echo hedge trimmer
husqvarna bp blowers
echo bp blower
giant vac blowers
new holland loader/hoe
trailers
and more...
Old 08-25-2006, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmaniac883
I know, If you dont like paying me then tell me to stop mowing. I spend more money trying to F***in get paid than anything else.
AMEN TO THAT!!!!!
Quick 36 Samurai 16HP Kawasaki
21" Honda HR215
RedMax BCZ2600S Trimmer
Echo SRM230 Trimmer
Shindaiwa LE260 Edger
Stihl BR 600 Back Pack Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl 018C Chainsaw

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com
Old 08-25-2006, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 3 or 4 that are always two weeks late. They pay but always late. Then on the other hand I have one old man that comes out on the first mow of the month and hands me a check for the month. Then I have another lady that pays her invoice plus adds in the mowing from last date on invoice to current date. As for me I pay my bills either as they come in or one week before due date. My mowers and truck payments are paid up till october. Why cant some customers do this.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

as my lawyer told me once, unfortunately, most people care more about paying the cable bill so they can watch tv then pay the lco that makes their home look great for them... we are spoiled, have you ever had the power go out, and you feel bored because the tv wasnt on? or just mad because you simply cant turn the lights on ? the key to this is to figure out how your invoice can get cable bill status, and not just on top of the microwave status... then i asked him how. and i got no response lol lol ...
scag tiger cub 48
scag 52 hydro wb
stihl trimmers
sthil chain saws
stihl power brooms
york sweeper
echo hedge trimmer
husqvarna bp blowers
echo bp blower
giant vac blowers
new holland loader/hoe
trailers
and more...
Old 08-25-2006, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Charge interest after 30 days, Just my 2 cents. I have a good friend that is a local bank loan officer... He says his best customers are the ones who NEVER pay their loan payments on time, but ALWAYS pay, even though its late... the bank gets a $5 late fee paid. (think about it, $5 for a 60 month loan nets the bank an additional $300 per loan) By charging interest, you probably wont make a killing, but maybe it will help to offset your court and PITA fees.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just so you know you can charge them for any court cost and colloections fees with in reason in most parts of this country. Oh yeah you can also charge them late fees and if they don't pay quick enough after you send them to collections. You can add interest on top of it. Don't give them a break just because you want them to use your service again. I mean come on do you really want to deal with collecting from them again. They don't pay send them to collections and let your collections company know that you don't want to do business with them again. They are alot more agressive this way.