Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2006, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Fall Aeration

We are really pushing aeration this fall since it was so profitable last spring. Does anyone see a difference in # of customers between fall and spring? Any local comments would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Colorado.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Im not in colorado at all but i get a lot more requests for aeration in the fall than i do in the spring. And the other way around for dethatching

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers
Old 08-28-2006, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

when do the calls for fall aeration start to come in for everyone. I tell customers that I start in September around here for aeration but so far we have not had a good response to the flyers that have been sent out (About 1,000 out, 2 calls) Any info would be great.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Think on this. Studies done by universities have shown that fall aeration even very late is very beneficial to the lawns in most cases more benefical then spring aeration. The soil has all the fall to work with freeze and thaw and is therefore more loose in the early spring for the early root growth. Also the fert will work down all winter and be there early for the early growth. My experience has been that if I aerate late in Nebraska and fert with it the lawns jump out earlier than if I do not. That means earlier mowing by usually two weeks and the customer is happier with a greener lawn sooner. Now think on this You have more time in the fall. Studies have shown that you can aerate cool season grasses as late as the first hard freeze (study done at Michigan State) So this gives you the whole entire fall to get the aerations done...Not a tight window like in the spring..Here is what I do
New aeration customers are done in the spring. I aerate and fert at the same time also I have the lawn mowed extra short. The customer will see nearly instant results. In days the damaged grass springs back nice and green...After I have them sold on the benes of aeration I move them to the fall where I have more time. We all win and the customer is happy, the bank is happy, my dog is happy and spring is not such a rush.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

What is the best Fertilizer to use, or does it depend on region? I am in Southeaster Virgnia, and it stays warmer longer here, but usally starts to cool off by October.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, fall aeration is better then spring but can be done either way.

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 08-30-2006, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We dont get nearly as many fall aerations, but we are going to make up for it this year with sprinkler blowouts. Good luck

Adam
Old 09-01-2006, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We only aerate in the fall. I have never done it in spring here in Indianapolis. I like to due it late Sept early Oct then love to see those results next April.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When aerating, do you folks leave the plugs as they fall, or use something to drag the plugs?
Old 09-05-2006, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Greasy Gun
We just leave them laying, the rain and wind break them up in a few weeks and washes them back in the holes. The first time I done my girlfriends yard she asked me "where did all this goose $hit come from". LOL
Attached Images