Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-17-2000, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

with OSHA threats looming larger each year, I need to relocate/sturdify my gas can stowing spot.<br>Where do most of you guys put your cans? In a expanded metal cage, or strapped to the tongue, or in the truck bed? Also OSHA reqires we use metal cans right? Need some input; thanx<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<p>
Old 03-25-2000, 11:15 PM

Being a one man band I can pretty much tell OSHA to leave me alone, at least so far. I've tried everything from plastic to safety cans and have finally settled on the old GI &quot;Jerry&quot; can. I have the carriers for two of them on each trailer. I got lucky and found some older carriers with the metal strap to hold the cans in as opposed to the nylon webbing that comes with the new racks. The main reason I went to the Jerry cans was that I was gtting water in my fuel with every other can system I tried. This is my third year with the Jerry cans and no water so far.
Old 03-26-2000, 10:03 AM

Hello:<p>We kept cans in trailer at all times. Every once in a while we had to carry in back of truck. I didn't like that, so I always tried to make sure we had plenty of gas.<p>I personally feel it is to dangerous to carry gas in back of truck!<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 03-26-2000, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This brings me to a interesting topic. I just looked at a new encore mower, and it has the detachable fuel tank system, so that you can buy extra tanks, and when you need a fill up, you just grab a full one and switch. <p>NOW, heres a real good question? Are those replacement tanks OSHA approved?<p>Think about it. Are the tanks that are attached to your mowers any differen't than the cheap tanks we've been using for years and now find out aren't OSHA approved. Think what this could mean. If there is a problem, osha could come along and say all our mowers have non'approved tanks!<p>Now, maybe theres differences between tanks already attached to our equipment and tanks used for transporting fuel seperately, but the overall fact is just proof on how ridiculous this whole OSHA thing really is.<br>Before we know, we'll have side impact bars on all our mower so in case of a collision, the fuel tanks won't blow up! The whole OSHA thing is such a joke. They draw imaginary lines everywhere on what is and what isn't safe. There's no limit to it, and something needs to be done before we need a license just to fill our equipment with gas.
Old 03-26-2000, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

do you need a MSDS when you carry gas in the back of the truck or in the trailer???<br>what is the max amount of gas you can carry at one time that is not in the mowers without having to put a placard on it???
Old 03-26-2000, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just looking thru Northern tool catalog today & found OSHA approved jerry cans for fuel; 5 gal. round with the teakettle type pouring action, for 29.95 each. Beats the $70 one guy was quoted in the next town by OSHA when they fined him (see an earlier post &quot;the dreaded OSHA&quot.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 03-27-2000, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Osha has actually stopped and ticketed you?<br>Give the details please. I do Not need that hassle.
Old 03-27-2000, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

OSHA did random checks in nearby towns last summer to various lawn guys, & one guy was way off on being up to snuff (guards tied back, plastic gas cans, safety levers removed, etc.) & got fined.<br>I guess they call randomly each summer.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>