Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-31-2006, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Did You Ever Notice..

That everyone and their brother seems to be in the mowing business? Maybe there were that many before I got involved, and I just didn't notice, but around here, it seems to me like i see someone different every week pulling a new mower behind their truck.

I mowed for about 8 hours Wednesday. This is a rural area, and the town I was mowing in is perhaps 1,000 in population. I doubt if the population of the whole county is much over 10,000. I decided to keep track of how many different LCO's I saw during the day. I saw NINE different guys! I can't imagine what it must be like in urban areas where there actually is some business!
Old 09-01-2006, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's an easy biz to start. Most people are pro's at it...

Usually, it's either a long term business that guys will continue for years or it's a transition business into some other type of business. Le'ts face it, who doesn't know how to mow...
Old 09-01-2006, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Jeez, Man They Are Like Ants Here They Are Killing My Profit And Biz,
Old 09-02-2006, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Doctor
Jeez, Man They Are Like Ants Here They Are Killing My Profit And Biz,
Same here and it gets worse every year.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

or its a couple kids doing it for the summer, and then they dissapear when school starts again... theres been a huge increase in our area of "lco's" i dont think they deserve to be called that because they are (im assuming by the looks of em) illegitament businesses. i see more and more guys with a p.o.s truck and a mower and less of Lasko, Paradise, Bennett those guys.. and i know its been discussed a billion times over but... I HATE LOWBALLERS!!! i bid a small lawn: cutting every week.. just the basics, i gave it a lower price than normal because its a family friend and i bid $45 some kid is doing it for $15 bucks. he has an old p.o.s mower looks like a frankenstein creation but the lawn, it looks like complete crap theres clumps everywhere the sidewalks arent blown down... so i guess ill be getting a call soon.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven386
or its a couple kids doing it for the summer, and then they dissapear when school starts again... theres been a huge increase in our area of "lco's" i dont think they deserve to be called that because they are (im assuming by the looks of em) illegitament businesses. i see more and more guys with a p.o.s truck and a mower and less of Lasko, Paradise, Bennett those guys.. and i know its been discussed a billion times over but... I HATE LOWBALLERS!!! i bid a small lawn: cutting every week.. just the basics, i gave it a lower price than normal because its a family friend and i bid $45 some kid is doing it for $15 bucks. he has an old p.o.s mower looks like a frankenstein creation but the lawn, it looks like complete crap theres clumps everywhere the sidewalks arent blown down... so i guess ill be getting a call soon.

$45 ??? That will not work around here.

Just because you want to gouge the customer with your high prices, don't get mad at someone that is willing to do it for less and still make money.

kc
Old 09-01-2006, 05:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have noticed a lot more in the last month, they must have been around but maybe i missed them, in our paper it covers a fairly large area and most come from a nearby town to mow as most LCOs just put there mobile telephone number down and the local residents dont realise some are coming a long way they probally thinking they are getting a local half the time, i wish they would stay in there town and us in ours and we would all be better off i reckon (less windshield time)
Old 09-01-2006, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgropher
some are coming a long way they probally thinking they are getting a local half the time, I wish they would stay in there town and us in ours and we would all be better off i reckon (less windshield time)
About a year ago I had one account that was a bit out of the way but I saw another guy there regularly that has several accounts in the immediate area. Same for me, I had a few in an area and I'd see him drive down the street and twenty minutes later leaving.
Kinda funny we were eating breakfast one morning at the same place and that subject came up, he had one account where I had 4 all within 1/2 mile of it, I had one near where he had 5. We were each familiar with the size of each others lawn in the areas we were talking about, approx the same income off of each so we traded. Now less 10-15 minutes less windshield time for both of us.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Carothers
$45 ??? That will not work around here.

Just because you want to gouge the customer with your high prices, don't get mad at someone that is willing to do it for less and still make money.

kc
just becuase you have crap accounts that you cnnot charge the customer those prices don't get mad at someone that can to do it for more and make more money.

we easially get $40.00 FOR OUR LITTLE 450 SQFT LAWNS HERE..
last year we have a $35.00 minimum, this year it is $40.00

focusing on high end customers, charging them appropriately and doing what we say we will in a professional manner is what keeps us doing $60K per month..............

don't knock someone becuase they charge more than you... they ought to be the ones you are friendly with.. Thise are the guys that are helping YOU get more money for your work.....

you need to understand that the basic #1 buisness principal of capitilism is charge what the market will bear... This is a business, not a hobby... for you to succeed over the long run, you need to make as much profit as you can.. or you will be pushing a mower at 70 years old becuase you have no investments, savings, etc....
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 09-01-2006, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardPro
just becuase you have crap accounts that you cnnot charge the customer those prices don't get mad at someone that can to do it for more and make more money.

we easially get $40.00 FOR OUR LITTLE 450 SQFT LAWNS HERE..
last year we have a $35.00 minimum, this year it is $40.00

focusing on high end customers, charging them appropriately and doing what we say we will in a professional manner is what keeps us doing $60K per month..............

don't knock someone becuase they charge more than you... they ought to be the ones you are friendly with.. Thise are the guys that are helping YOU get more money for your work.....

you need to understand that the basic #1 buisness principal of capitilism is charge what the market will bear... This is a business, not a hobby... for you to succeed over the long run, you need to make as much profit as you can.. or you will be pushing a mower at 70 years old becuase you have no investments, savings, etc....
You are full of SH*t.

I challenge you $1000.

I am part of a lco in Wilmington, is this by you???

If so, are you up to the challenge???

It's one thing to stretch the truth but it's another to bs about what you get on every postage stamp 450 sq. foot lot.

I was born at night not last night and I know what a 450 sq ft lot in Wilmington will bring.

kc

Last edited by K.Carothers; 09-01-2006 at 10:27 AM.