Mechanic - Trained, attend schools 14 29.79%
Mechanic - not trained 8 17.02%
Do Your Selfer 20 42.55%
Mechanical Disfunctional 5 10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2001, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What are you?

I curious as to the ability of the people who are using this new and awesome forum. I will try and help answer any questions that I can. I have a wide range of knowledge of repair and operating equipment.

My background includes learning the basics of repairs and welding on a family farm, working for a large farmer(farmed 33 square miles of farm land)/used equipment dealer as a mechanic/operator, worked as a mechanic at medium sized lawnmower shop off and on for about 2 years, attended diesel technology school(1 of 13 in the nation to be back by Catapillar), work as a Service Technician for City of San Diego's Police Department and Equipment Division for 3 years, work as an Equipment Technician for 4 years at the City of San Diego's Mt. Hope Cemetery on turf equipment, work as a Equipment Technician for 2.5 years for City of San Diego Metro Div. of the Park & Rec Dept. Currently I now supervise the repair shop and oversee purchasing of turf equipment for Metro P&R, while still turning a wrench or two.
Our shop repairs, rebuilds, and maintain about 500 pieces of turf equipment and other non-turf equipment. I also have attended many training schools offered by turf equipment manafactures.

I'm still learning new things every day, but still have a lot to offer.
City of San Diego

We enrich lives through quality parks and programs.
Old 06-02-2001, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Awesome

Clay, welcome and we are glad to have someone with your background attending this board. You'll come in handy around here I'm sure
Old 06-07-2001, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've read your posts with great interest and think you bring a strong, professional viewpoint to this site which I appreciate. I'd be interested to know what turf equipment SD uses and has used in the past and what your opinion is on it, so far as you feel comfortable sharing with us. I'm quite happy with my newest mower, an Exmark LazerZ 60" which I moved to from a 72" JD935.

I bought the JD from the City of Tacoma and got good service out of it but wanted a smoother, more finished cut which I've gotten from the Exmark. I'm assuming that your shop didn't work on the 935 as I asked a question here earlier on it, but just in case you missed it I had a coupler break as a prospective buyer was demoing it. If you've got any insight or information to offer me [and him] on this mower I'd appreciate it. I thought it was interesting that Tacoma [WA] parks had just replaced the Yanmar diesel with a rebuilt and I got it with less than 300 hours on it. Apparently their records indicated it was time to surplus the machine, new engine or not, to my benefit. What's your opinion on obtaining equipment this way?

Again, it's great to have you here and welcome to LawnSite from someone who needs all the help he can get. Will M>
Old 06-07-2001, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll second that, Mr. Ziffel - I'm glad we've got someone like Clay on board!

My background is strictly "self taught" as far as mechanics goes, most of it learned the hard way on my truck & various other projects. When it comes to smaller equipment, I'm here to learn too!

I work full time for a welding/fabricating company, most of the time I'm out in the field with the mobile welding rig. We do a lot of work for some of the local gravel companies (just finished 9 weeks at one pit, working at another company's shop this week helping them overhaul a jaw crusher they recently bought) and also see some millwrighting jobs too. So I'm more used to b-i-g equipment!

Looking forward to learning about the smaller stuff now!
Old 06-10-2001, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Just a quick little background on myself, been a technician in a shop since 1985. I've been an ASE Master certified auto technician since 86. Briggs & Stratton master certified, Tecumseh TMT and Kohler expert certified. I love anything to do with engines and will help anywere I can in this forum.