Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-04-2001, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Kohler CV14T

I have a garage kept 1995 Toro w/b with a 14Hp Kohler that has run flawlessly for 6 years......amazing what clean oil,filters, and some preventative maintenance will do.....
Just recently it will run fine for a while and then begin missfiring and sputtering (maybe every 2nd or 3rd lawn I maintain) at which time I disengage the mower blades and reduce the throttle to try and eliminate another tug on the ole pull start. Sometimes it will recover and others it will just stop. When it stops it will not start. A 10-15 minute rest and it usually (not every time) fires right back up. I do not want to take it into the shop and have it run fine for them and waste a shop charge. Only if you spend an entire day on the mower will you get a feel for it. (best decribed, very unpredictable) I don't feel as though its a fuel problem (other than being a $1.61/gal for 87 octane.) It's almost as though something may be heating up to cause the failure.
I've read the threads of a similar problem happening on a 12Hp Kawasaki and many responses were leaning towards replacing a module of some kind.
I've replaced the air filter,spark plug(ChampionRC 12YC @ 0.035" gap), fuel filter,(removed and cleaned fuel tank too) fuel line looked good, pulled the carb and sprayed every orfice possible w/ carb. cleaner. Right before any problems occurred, while performing a good cleaning of the cooling fins I do remember cleaning oxidation off the ignition coil and flywheel magnets with some fine sandpaper. In my manual there are 3 items labled module.(ignition coil part #12-584-02, located under the T-Bar is an interlock module part #82-3850 & another under the T-Bar part # 86-7910) Which one? I'm mechanically inclined until MODULE....huh?

Many Thanks for your input!
John
Old 06-04-2001, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

ignition coil part #12-584-02 This would be the only part that heats up when the engine runs.

Old 06-04-2001, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

See if there is a shut off at the bottom of the tank.I had a guy with a toro who spent fortunes on new fuel pums etc,and it was just the screen clogging up as the junk made its way to the screen after running it for a while,sometimes it would do it and someimes not ,other than that I would say its a module heating up and breaking down when hot
Old 06-04-2001, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If the above dont fix it,make sure your fuel tank is venting properly,a plugged vent will do exactly what you explained,it wll run til the tank is in a vacuum,then die,and slowly it will get enough air to fill the carb,and run again.To test it,when it starts dieing,loosen the fuel cap enough so it can get air,if it clears up in a few seconds,you've found it.
Old 06-04-2001, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank You all for your wise contributions, a couple I hadn't thought of. I believe my ignition coil is aproaching a slow and agonizing dirt nap. I pulled the cowling today and studied a little closer, thought I had it in the bag by cleaning up a nasty corroded connection off of the coil leading back into the wiring harness. I buttoned her back up and.......... nothing. I removed the coil and measured across the coil contacts with an ohm meter (+ lead on the spark plug and the - lead on the 3 contacts one at a time, 2 of which are ground and bolt to the engine block. I'm getting very little to no resistance. I believe my coil is shorting to ground internally. I'll know more tomorrow after I split with some $.
Had to Ramble, Thanks again & safe mowing to all!
Old 06-08-2001, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

One new ignition coil & ......... Goodbye engine problems! Trivial I know, although I've never had a coil fail in that manner. In the past it was all(spark) or nothing.