Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2006, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Enclosed Trailer Flooring Options...

I am about to spend this weekend installing my Trimmer Trap equipment racks in my trailer. My biggest concern is what to do about protecting the flooring of my enclosed trailer. Right now, the floors are still just bare plywood.

A friend of mine installed thin steel diamond tread plate in our last trailer. It worked very well, but now he is too busy with other work to take on the task again.

I'm not too sure about having a spray-on liner put in? Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like it might be too permanent.

On the other hand, I found a product through JNK products - BLT G-Floor "Trailer Floor Covering". Here's the link:

http://www.bltllc.com/trailer-flooring.htm

Does anyone else have any altenative solutions for enclose trailer floor protection? If so, I would appreciate your suggestions or recommendations.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if it is just laying there it will probably move all around and curl up under your mower deck, tires, etc
Old 09-21-2006, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Member

get you some shagg carpet and put in it! just joking! let me know I have a enclosed trailer as well I am thinking about installing something in it.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.we.mow.grass View Post
get you some shagg carpet and put in it! just joking! let me know I have a enclosed trailer as well I am thinking about installing something in it.
LOL don't joke! I have a vinyl backed mejatagrid heavy walk in industrial matt in mine. Underneath the plywood is brand new after 4 years.
Attached Images

Haulmark 6x12 Enclosed trailer
Bri-Mar 6x12,7x14 Dump Trailers
18hp Billy Goat Leaf Loader
Classen 5.5 Honda Power Rake
Stihl FS100RX, FS110 Trimmers
Stihl HL100K, HS81T Hedge Trimmers
4 BR600 Blowers
Stihl 029 Chainsaw
Honda 3 HRC216HXA Mowers
5 HS520A Snowblowers, 1 hs928was
Old 09-21-2006, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I plan on having Line-X put on the floor of my new enclosed trailer when I get it this winter. I have it in the back of my truck and love it! So much better then having a plastic bed liner in the truck, and many, many times more protective and durable.

The problem I see with the cover you linked to was that it would be just like a plastic bed liner. It's not sealed to the floor, therefore moisture and such can and will get under it, and then almost never dry out, causing the flooring to rot even faster then if it weren't covered at all.

I read on another thread on here somewhere that many trailer warranties are void from gas and oil spills on the flooring.

Spray on liner? The best choice as far as I can see.

Proud Supporter of:
Hustler mowers ~ Xtreme racks ~ STHIL products
Old 09-21-2006, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What about a second layer of sacrificial plywood? Maybe tongue and groove plywood and some screws. Then use it and abuse it and when it wears out, remove and replace it.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All great ideas.

Check this out. Based on some of your ideas, I think what I am going to do is put down some 1/4" thin Hardi-backer board over the plywood, screw it down, and then maybe have the backer board floor surface spray-coated with Line-X.

What do you all think about this option?

Sounds like it might be a little expensive, but the Hardi-backer is highly moisture resistent, plus it adds strength to the existing plywood floor. Then the Line-X resists the wear and tear, and spills of gasoline,oil, etc.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a garage floor 2 part epoxy for my trailer and it is holding up great. I could not justify spending 1200- 1500 for linex on my floor when the plywood for it proably only cost 200-250.

Matt
Old 01-26-2009, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nt1 View Post
What about a second layer of sacrificial plywood? Maybe tongue and groove plywood and some screws. Then use it and abuse it and when it wears out, remove and replace it.

thats what i did, i used primed & painted OSB, and i replace each year (or longer)

i dont spill much, so i'm fine...

i did not want to add a LOT of weight
Old 01-26-2009, 05:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

These floors do take a beating. Last month I bought 1/2" plywood and overlapped the existing floor seams. Also put very hard quarter round at both ends. Will prime it and paint it this spring. This was last done 4 years ago. Easy to do and inexpensive and does not add much weight. We also have diamond plate running length of trlr on both sides and up 18" from the floor.
I would stay away from anything that might break down or move around with machines in and out all the time.