Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-24-2006, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Leaf Pick-up

I want to get started into lawn maintenance next year but I thought I would get a head start this year and try and start a leaf pick-up service. I was wondering what you guys think would be the best equipment to start with keeping in mind hopefully getting into maintenance next year? Currently have 04 F-250. Trying to stay away from a dump trailer but know thats one of best ways to go. Can't seeing drop a couple grand just on a trailer yet. Also wondering if anyone could tell me where they dump in Norther NJ. Thanks in advance for all your input.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Well if you dont want to buy a dump trailer you can just do it the hard way which really isnt that hard as long as you have somebody helping you. Just put the leaves on a tarp and lift them up in the bed of your truck. Or you can buy a leaf vac that attaches to your hitch and build a box around your bed of your truck and do it that way. but if your just starting out do it the tarp way. And if your lucky you can get some lawns that you can dump the leaves in the woods or something.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Member

A good Backpack Blower and a Billy Goat leaf vac.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

leaf dumping

Check with local farmers they will take leaves sometimes.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

where abouts in north jersey? i know of quite a few dumps i just bout a new 18hp billy goat and i got a 13 hp push blower and some backpacks works well for me if ya want build some sides on ya truck and get a tarp and put it in there and some green barrells and fill her up thats how i started
Old 09-26-2006, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Dear Doug,

You can check out our full line of debris equipment, you will probably want a wb blower, to blow the leaves onto a tarp, or to the curb, then a truck loader to suck the leaves into your truck. If you need any literature, just give us a call. Thanks and good luck, Lisa at Power Equipment Warehouse. We have a link at the top of the page!
Old 09-26-2006, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Pray for strong winds,, or a match.
The low over head may be a good thing as you will need to spend longer on site but will do OK with no outlay for equipment. Just do not bid low!
Old 09-26-2006, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm in Morris County, Morristown area. I was thinking the same thing. Build sides on the back of my truck, get a back pack blower and hopefully a leaf vac. I don't want to spend tons of money but at the same time, I rather spend the money on a leaf vac instead of lugging it into the back of my truck instead of paying out to get my back fixed. Do you think a back pack blower, a few rakes, a tarp, I would be all set with the sides of my Truck? Please let me know where to dump and what the charge is. Thanks agian everyone for your help.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Around here its like $125+ per hr. taken away; which normally includes 2-3 guys. I charge $75 an hr. to blow it into the woods and like above around $125 to take it away. If you have the $$$$ a dump insert will save you alot of time...... but will make you stronger.

Give me your email I have a quick question for you. You can PM it to me or email me @ evergreenlc@optonline.net

Last edited by jazak; 09-26-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

doug im near wayne which is up 287 theres a place called riverdale envromental recycling (riverdale) and dan como and sons (towaco) they charge about $7 a yard i would recommend a truck loader but they are costly around 3000 + tax if you cant afford one right now check out some green landscape barrells and run barrels into your truck its really not that bad i did it for a season if ya can hire some people to work for ya