Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-25-2006, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

XR-7 Demo

I just thought i'd post and let everyone know about my thoughts on the XR-7 after my demo today.

The dealer dropped it off this morning and wont be picking it up until Thursday so we have a few days to use it. Its a 27/60 Super Z with flex forks. Its the same machine that Tacoma 200 had that Hustler bought back.

I started out this morning mowing tall wet grass that was about 1.5 weeks of growth mowing it down to 3 1/4". This mower had plenty of power for this and it cut it absolutely great with only a stringer here and there and with practically no clumping. The discharge was amazing, it sprayed those wet clippings out evenly like they were dry as a bone with minimal build up under the deck. This mower had the triangle fix on the left side only and did not have the lift kit installed.

As I mowed on through the day the quality of cut stayed pretty much the same. Excellent with only a straggler here and there. It left a very clean and crisp cut in my opinion and I was very pleased with this machine and the deck.

I did notice with the flex forks in some real uneven areas would give a slightly choppy cut and some minor scalping but its just a matter of getting used to them. By the end of the day I could tell when I needed to raise the deck up a little and when I didn't.

Like I said, I was very pleased with mower and the deck and we are going to seriously consider buying it. It has around 50 hours on it. If anyone has any questions i'd be glad to answer them to the best of my ability.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Compare it to your Chopper please.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALSLOW
Compare it to your Chopper please.
I don't have a chopper.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My guys were mowing today and the grass is starting to slow a bit, and as I suspected the cut suffered. I pulled up to the site and I looked at the lawn. There was strips in the lawn that were uncut and I could not believe they actually had cut the entire yard. The same continued on other lawns even with reduced mowing height. They had already dropped the deck down to 3" by the time they cut the lawn I observed. I looked at some of the other yards and noted the good quality of cut and I asked them which machine they used, and everyone that looked good was cut with my Old Super Z. The cut today was completely intolerable! I have the air lift kit and at this point is only added weight for the front of the deck.

Glad you are happy Travis, I am not.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” - Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-26-2006, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry to hear your having problems. Here's a thought. The guy that posted in the Hustler forum that said he was from one of the distributors and was working with hustler engineers trying to solve the cut problems said that this deck was creating too much airflow and was causing it to blow down some of the grass and not cut it. You could try slowing your engine speed a little and see what that does. I would think that may do something since the the blades wouldn't be turning as fast and therefore creating less airflow. You could try it.

Do you have flex forks on yours? I was mowing again today and i'm just not to happy with them. The machine bounces up and down and leaves a choppy cut and scalps worse. I'm running 10 psi all around. it may help if i lowered it to 8-9 but i don't have a guage that reads that low.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have the flex forks on my machine, but could see why you might have problems. The demo I took out seemed to allow alot of flexing down on undulations causing uneven cut. I guess I could try to slow the blades down, but would rather it just worked better without having to jack around so much. I love everything else about the mower but the deck.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” - Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-26-2006, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Followell
Sorry to hear your having problems. Here's a thought. The guy that posted in the Hustler forum that said he was from one of the distributors and was working with hustler engineers trying to solve the cut problems said that this deck was creating too much airflow and was causing it to blow down some of the grass and not cut it. You could try slowing your engine speed a little and see what that does. I would think that may do something since the the blades wouldn't be turning as fast and therefore creating less airflow. You could try it.

Do you have flex forks on yours? I was mowing again today and i'm just not to happy with them. The machine bounces up and down and leaves a choppy cut and scalps worse. I'm running 10 psi all around. it may help if i lowered it to 8-9 but i don't have a guage that reads that low.
The engine and hydraulics are designed to cool best at full throttle rpm, you can cause problems slowing your engine speed, air cooled is totally different from liquid cooled.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Brook
My guys were mowing today and the grass is starting to slow a bit, and as I suspected the cut suffered. I pulled up to the site and I looked at the lawn. There was strips in the lawn that were uncut and I could not believe they actually had cut the entire yard. The same continued on other lawns even with reduced mowing height. They had already dropped the deck down to 3" by the time they cut the lawn I observed. I looked at some of the other yards and noted the good quality of cut and I asked them which machine they used, and everyone that looked good was cut with my Old Super Z. The cut today was completely intolerable! I have the air lift kit and at this point is only added weight for the front of the deck.

Glad you are happy Travis, I am not.
I think right now you will do a better job without the airlift kit.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Shady Brook, is the air lift kit causing you build up problems like tacoma had?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I hope you have some lawns that are not thick and lush to try this mower on. A few years ago I tried out a Toro SFS [sucks for sure] on some lush lawns. It cut great so I bought it. When I tried it on some weedy thin lawns, it was terrible. From now on I try them on both.