Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2006, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

will i make enough money

will i make enough money mowing this summer to buy a plow and all the mounting hardware for next winter? ~$4,000 is what i would need to make
Old 09-26-2006, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B
will i make enough money mowing this summer to buy a plow and all the mounting hardware for next winter? ~$4,000 is what i would need to make
NO-- because it is already Fall

Very vague question
What do you bring in-- what is your overhead-- Whats left-- Is that $4000.00. If you say yes --YES, if you say no--Than NO.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

HAHAHA Dude...if you're just now getting in the game...ummm you screwed.
Quick 36 Samurai 16HP Kawasaki
21" Honda HR215
RedMax BCZ2600S Trimmer
Echo SRM230 Trimmer
Shindaiwa LE260 Edger
Stihl BR 600 Back Pack Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl 018C Chainsaw

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com
Old 09-26-2006, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

no im just staring mowing next summer. not now. and im just going to blow peoples driveways this winter. will i make enough money next summer to buy a plow for next winter?
Old 09-26-2006, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
no im just staring mowing next summer. not now. and im just going to blow peoples driveways this winter. will i make enough money next summer to buy a plow for next winter?
Not trying to be a smart a$$ but-- you are going about it the wrong way. the question should be-- Will I make enough money plowing snow to pay for the equipment I need to do it, AND than-- Will I make enough money mowing to pay for my mowers and all over head--
They are two separate businesses and should support themselves by themselves
Old 09-26-2006, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how do you expect some one to answer you ? its like saying will it rain next spring? sure it will but how much rain will fall? you will make as much as you want to make thats if you are willing to invest every second of your day and every weekend, time ,money... its all in what you want to make of it !!
scag tiger cub 48
scag 52 hydro wb
stihl trimmers
sthil chain saws
stihl power brooms
york sweeper
echo hedge trimmer
husqvarna bp blowers
echo bp blower
giant vac blowers
new holland loader/hoe
trailers
and more...
Old 09-26-2006, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

you have been in business 2 years according to your profile

what is with that.......along with a plow you will need to have your business licensed and lots of insurance. Plowing insurance is very expensive, and you have to show your business has a vendors license for collecting sales tax.
in ohio snow moved my any mechanical meens is taxable by the state, at the rate of the county the work is performed in......

you cant just say your in business and you are, there are rules
6 full time
Old 09-26-2006, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwildcat
how do you expect some one to answer you ? its like saying will it rain next spring? sure it will but how much rain will fall? you will make as much as you want to make thats if you are willing to invest every second of your day and every weekend, time ,money... its all in what you want to make of it !!
No doubt, because if we tell you that yes you will make enough then you go out and get a whopping 3-4 accounts and are later disappointed that you didn't? ... Or if we say no, then you won't even try ...?

Fact is, there's no telling from our standpoint sir, we can not predict the future, especially not someone else's but really not even our own heheh...

Do the best you can, let the cards fall in place, either you get it or you don't, it really is that simple. Best advice I can give you is this:
Right first thing start saving your money (yes really right now) and put aside always as much as you can, and keep doing that.
Once you have some, pay off your credit cards, pay off your car, pay off everything you own before even going into business.
Once the car is paid for, lower your insurance to the bare minimum (basic liability only, as required by law) and learn to be a careful driver.
Then, pay your insurance the first time it comes due in one lump sum (no payments, they charge $5 / month or more 'admin' fees + stamp + envelope + god help you should you forget even one time).
And keep your credit cards and everything paid off, in full, every month.
Put your electric, phone, and cable / internet on automated pay (well you got the money, right?), no more 1.5% late fee which btw = 18% apr.
And so on...
At least to me, saving my money has become a primary focus of my business.
First, I save next winter's money. Then, I save for equipment on top of that, then I go see what they have and how much I have.
Much to my dismay, as soon as I have the money to buy what I wanted a year (or three) ago, they've gone up in price... But by then I've got enough money in the bank that they pay ME like 30-45 dollars / month in interest and I have zero problem saving more on top of that until I DO got enough and if the price goes up again then I save some more because I still get closer every day.

... and NEVER take out another loan (except if you HAVE the money in the bank and it does NOT affect your final figure and they ARE willing to give you 36 months no payment / no interest (or even 6-12 months, whatever) but you got to have the cash in bank and if it affects you in any way to have that loan then you pay it off and you're done.

just my .002

Last edited by topsites; 09-26-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

you ned to change your profile...

Quote:

as soon as you make your first 5000, you will have to apply for a vendors license, easy and i think it was 55 bucks if i remember, register your business name with the state, this was also cheap, and contact an insurance agent and arrange for liability for your new mowing business....

set aside some money for advertising in the spring, and get to work.... dont lowball, and do a good job and the rest will work out...... keep it up until you can get a plow and all the legalities of that coverd and then start that....

you can still snowblow with out insurance, i think..... but the total must be keep record of and accumulated to wards your first 5000 for a given year..... Good Luck
6 full time
Old 11-03-2006, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive got some good news!
just kidding with you!
Attached Images