Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2006, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Zone 7 - NC - Which Seed to go with...

I need to decide (quickly) on which seed I want to overseed my yard, and my folks yard with. Both lots have some shade, but enough sun that grass has done pretty well in the past.

I have been looking at Pennington TTTF and Lesco Transition TTTF, as well as the "heat tolerant blue" varieties from Scotts and Pennington. I am a bit skeptical of how the 10% bluegrass will act over the course of a few years in this climate. I've read this site and others, and there seems to be a wide variety of oppinions.

Can anyone shed some light for me?

- BD
Old 09-26-2006, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I posted a similar question here about 3 weeks ago and didn't get much for replies. I'm south of nashville and have been looking at seed blends. The one I think I will settle on is one of the rebel fescue blends. They are mostly TTTF with a little rye as a nursery seed and KYB for spreading. Straigh KYB lawns up north are gorgeous and grow fast, and nearly never need overseeding. I figure this mix would work well, and it's not prohibitively expensive, but I don't know how the blue would hold up in the heat.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I was reading a couple of other sites/forums that had some guys from NC who had used the Heat Tolerant Blue variety. The common complaint I saw was that the blue spread very well, so well in fact, that once the dry summer heat set in significant browning occured in the patches where the blue took over.

They seemed to love the results initially (spring), but had problems getting through the summer.

- BD
Old 09-26-2006, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Were these yards that got brown in the summer planted in the spring or the fall? Even good fescue goes dormant in the heat if it hasn't had enough time to develope a goop root system.

My soil is straight clay so water runs off in the rain and it just gets ugly when it gets hot. My tenative strategy is to aerate heavily, fert and overseed in the fall, then aerate, overseed, fert and compost as soon as it warms up in the early spring. I figure two aerations and a compost topdress should help with the soil's water holding, and the combination of well developed roots and a thick stand from two overseedings should perform as good as anything else in our conditions.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

These lawns were planted in the fall, so they should have had plenty of time to root. Again, there are lots of variables involved.

I am tempted to try the heat tolerant blend - but would sure like some more input.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Im no expert, not even close. I use transition blend by lesco , But this is the 1st time for me and I cant tell how it will perform next year. Its in mother natures hands now if we get enough water to support it and get it established. The last 2 winters have been very warm and dry here in Va.

wayne

Old 09-26-2006, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

www.ntep.org
Top seeds tested in Raleigh Nc. in 2005, Inferno, Avenger, Fidelity, Guardian
Old 09-26-2006, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We're just around the corner from Chapel Hill. Here is the link to the NCSU Turf site result page; http://www.ntep.org/data/tf01/tf01_06-9/tf01nc105t.txt

We tried several seeds last year, Rebel Exeda, Biltmore, Sentry, Southern Choice and more. While the NCSU tests are great, they do not measure the drought resistance of a seeds, according to their procedure, they water at the first sign of stress. Well, I wish our customers would do this as well...

Anyway, I was really impressed with the drought resistance of Rebel Exeda. One of the customers did not water at all this year and the lawn looked "sad" in July /August. After all the September rain, all of the Exeda came back and the yard looks now so good, that the customer sees no point in overseeding this year again.

The “Baltimore” yards also did very good and we’ll use it (as part of the Lesco Supreme mix) and the Rebel Exeda on most lawns this year.

Perhaps half of the lots are full sun, half 6 to 8 hrs of sun.

John