The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-02-2006, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

When is the best time

to put out the fertilizer with weed control,fall or spring?Thanks
Old 10-02-2006, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

depends on what you want to get rid off; POA, crabgrass, normal weeds....
Old 10-02-2006, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

crabgrass

and normal weeds and clover
Old 10-02-2006, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I am in MA and you are in NC but I will try to help.

Clover is anytime. I have used Momentum FX2 (gran) and worked very nice. A liquid will do better; That is all I use. Drive 75 works great, Confront (but new regs is a no-no), Dimension will, Elimanate will and many others.

Same with other weeds Momentim FX2 is nice and works very well. I would not use them in weather over 85 F though. Burns.

http://www.weedalert.com/ is a good site. Any 2-4-d will kill weeds etc. Clover is a pain but so far momentum FX killed 95% of it. Just some spot spraying now.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

wont the

fertilizer with weed control,granuler type work?
Old 10-02-2006, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowGap Cub
fertilizer with weed control,granuler type work?
Lesco - Momentum FX2. Like $40 for a 50 LB bag. Does 12K sq/ft. I think it is like 3.4 LB per 1,000 feet. That I feel is your best bet. It is like 20-0-11?
Old 10-04-2006, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

If you want my opinion, the answer is never.

Weed and feed products are not the best way to go. If you need a week killer, get a stand alone product. If you need fertilizer, get a stand alone product.

Actually, the problem with weed and feed is that it really is not timed correctly.

The best way to kill weeds is when they are actively growing. To do that, you want to fertilize the lawn days or a week before you apply weed killer. Weed & Feed tries to kill the weed before it has been able to absorb much of the fertilizer.

If you ask me, weed & feed is a great marketing ploy for the big lawn care companies. But it is not the best way to handle weeds in your lawn.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf_toes
If you want my opinion, the answer is never.

Weed and feed products are not the best way to go. If you need a week killer, get a stand alone product. If you need fertilizer, get a stand alone product.

Actually, the problem with weed and feed is that it really is not timed correctly.

The best way to kill weeds is when they are actively growing. To do that, you want to fertilize the lawn days or a week before you apply weed killer. Weed & Feed tries to kill the weed before it has been able to absorb much of the fertilizer.

If you ask me, weed & feed is a great marketing ploy for the big lawn care companies. But it is not the best way to handle weeds in your lawn.
this is 100% accurate. Id the weed and spot spray it if it is still growing.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Not to hijack but what if timing would be good for both, would the control be that bad with W&F. I have a 1 acre lot that has a lot of plantain and clover that is growing like crazy and starting to overun things. I was thinking to apply a weed and feed because I need a fertilizer treatment now and weed killer. I have a 2 gallon pump sprayer or I could get the ortho hose end and apply Trimec with that. The problem is, the pump, I am familiar with but it would take forever, the hose end, I am not familiar with as far as walking speed so it could be futile. I think for some homeowners like myself, it is convenience and available application equipment. Once this is under control, it will be spot treatments but this initial overrun, could I still get good control?
Old 10-04-2006, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate1422
Not to hijack but what if timing would be good for both, would the control be that bad with W&F. I have a 1 acre lot that has a lot of plantain and clover that is growing like crazy and starting to overun things. I was thinking to apply a weed and feed because I need a fertilizer treatment now and weed killer. I have a 2 gallon pump sprayer or I could get the ortho hose end and apply Trimec with that. The problem is, the pump, I am familiar with but it would take forever, the hose end, I am not familiar with as far as walking speed so it could be futile. I think for some homeowners like myself, it is convenience and available application equipment. Once this is under control, it will be spot treatments but this initial overrun, could I still get good control?
Clover use Momentum FX2 in gran form. You will need severla bags but in your case it is quicker and easier to get rid of the clower and plantain.

Liquid is less money per ai, but you will be there forever with a 2 gal sprayer.