Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2006, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

landscape border block

Where can I find some good landscape border block? I am looking to redo my landscape borders but cannot find anything quite like what I want. I want something that looks like this (same size too) but a little more natural looking. I have even thought of getting a cement mixer and making forms and make blocks myself. Then I could color the cement to look natural, and use stoneI have some other projects I could use the mixer for too. I need to find a place that has what I am looking for so that I can figure out if my idea is worth pursuing.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...429&lpage=none
Old 10-12-2006, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your link did not work for me. You have a rock-yard where you are? Try there first.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
Your link did not work for me. You have a rock-yard where you are? Try there first.
Must be because I have to enter my zip code first. Here's a pic. I'll check for rock yards.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2006, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like EP Henry Coventry Border Stones. The curb stones are a little thicker than the edge stones. Both come in a couple of different blended colors. They make a nice, simple to install border. A little concrete on a 45 degree angle behind the stones in the trench gives them an almost permanent installation.

http://www.ephenry.com/HomeOwner/Pro...?Category_ID=1

Kirk
Old 10-13-2006, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams To Designs
Looks like EP Henry Coventry Border Stones. The curb stones are a little thicker than the edge stones. Both come in a couple of different blended colors. They make a nice, simple to install border. A little concrete on a 45 degree angle behind the stones in the trench gives them an almost permanent installation.

http://www.ephenry.com/HomeOwner/Pro...?Category_ID=1

Kirk
Kirk,
I understand that the concrete gives the block stability, but not picturing the 45 degree angle. Can you elaborate?
Old 10-13-2006, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

On the backside of the edge stone, on the ground, trowel in some concrete, maybe halfway up the back of the stone, sloping down to the ground on a 45 degree angle. By using a trowel to to create the angle and giving the concrete a smooth finish, it will add additional strength to the backfill. Then after the concrete has dried, backfill with garden soil. By placing the concrete along the back edge, it reduces the movement of the edge to minor bumps or frost heave. If you are doing this in a high traffic area, or an area that may take some heavy abuse, creating a footing and seating the stones in the footing along with the sloping concrete backfill will create a very sturdy edge, similar to the way they are installing belgian block or granite curb stones along the streets of new luxury homes.

If you want a true natural look, it's tough to beat belgian block or granite curbing. Most stone yards will have access to different size blocks to suit your project. They may cost a little more than the manufactured concrete, but they are natural stone.

Kirk
Old 10-13-2006, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

BTW,
Those EP Henry stones you linked to look exactly like what I am looking for. Thanks!