Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-13-2006, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Going from 60" to 52" decks?

I have been running primarily 60" Exmarks for a couple years now cutting almost every property from 5,000 sq. ft. up to 3 acres, but I am giving a little thought to going to 52" decks. It seems that the smaller and/or more broken up properties would be easier to service with a 52" over a 60"

My thinking is this, sure the 60" will save time and cut more grass per hour but I am more concerned with quality than speed. I do not think on most properties unless they are larger, say over 1/2 acre, and more open that I really will be giving up that much with a 52".

The 52" is slightly more manuverable, has a better quality of cut on smaller properties, it will not scap as easy, and gets into some spots better than the 60".

What size decks do most guys on here run on their main cutting rigs? Has anybody dowsized to smaller decks? Did it work out well?

I should add that I do not like to cut the same property with different sized mower decks (if at all possible). I would prefer consistent sized stripes.

Your thoughts and comments are much appreciated.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

deck sizes

Hi Eclipse
My thoughts exactly, I've been toying with this idea for some time, the larger Z's for example have the 60" and the lesser HP have the smaller decks which make sense, I was looking at the 52" decks but saw that most people seem to use 60", but like yourself, the 52" would give a better cut, so I vote for 52" decks.
I now have a 42" GHS Walker, but in spring will get a Z, which one is yet to be determined, Exmark,Scag or Hustler, decisions, decisions
Dave
Old 10-13-2006, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not just have both deck sizes on 2 different mowers??

I'm pretty much solo and I have 5 mower, 36" all the way up to 72". You know what they say... If you're going to be "professional" you have to have the right tools.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is all run here 52 and less you can run em on all your properties,with a 61 we were taking four mowers out everday now we are taking two.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you do think you want to go down to 52" mowers, make sure you demo a 52" Wright Stander. They are the most versatile and maneuverable 52" mower on the market.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1.2 gph how you know that ? I run 52 ferris I want to go 61 z 52 walkbehind 36 wb

Details make money!
Old 10-13-2006, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Why not just have both deck sizes on 2 different mowers??
As, MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE suggested, to have the absolute best mower for each property I would be dragging around more mowers every day and the trailer is only so big

As a solo op I found it easy to bring 3 different sized mowers with me for the day and I would pretty much be covered no matter what I was mowing that day. When running a 2 person crew and not wanting to mix the size of my stripes on the majority of properties, I would prefer to trailer at least two of the same size mower.

Quote:
I find that the 52's are much easier for employees to use without scalping.
This is certainly something I was thinking as well.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No more 52" eXmarks for me please.... that's my decision.

If I were even going to go look at a 52" eXmark, it would be a late model 27/52 Lazer Z with the UltraCut or a Turf Tracer with the UltraCut. Nothing else. But I'd be doing that knowing dang well I'd be dropping in production. Don't lie to yourself.

My advice is that if you want a 'nook' mower, look at a 48" rider. I've owned 48", 52", 60" & 61" ZTR's. My experience has been that there are so many little places the 48's fit right through. But the 52's don't. Yet I have not came across a single place the 52's will go that the 60's will not.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 10-13-2006, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said Envy,
My thoughts exactly. No matter how you slice it a 52 is much slower than a 60. Unless your doing less than 7000 sq. ft. Guys running 48's wouldn't go back to 36's.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryB
Well said Envy,
My thoughts exactly. No matter how you slice it a 52 is much slower than a 60. Unless your doing less than 7000 sq. ft. Guys running 48's wouldn't go back to 36's.
Yeah, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade or anything. But the Lazer HP 52's are NOT going to scalp less, they are NOT going to cut as well, and they are NOT going to be as productive.

Being realistic, even if the 52" HP could cut at the same speed, the truth is I get maybe the same swath out of it that I did with the 48's (zero difference) and every 4 swaths with the 60" I save a whole pass and the turning.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"