Register free!

Old 10-26-2006, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Crossbow hunting

How many folks hunt with a crossbow?
Do you agree with using them during the regular archery season or should there be a seperate season?
How acurate and how far are they good for?
What's the largest game you would hunt with one?

Inquiring minds want to know.....My girlfriends son hunts with one and I'm thinking about adding it to my hunting season.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

my opinion on them is they should only be legal for the handicapped hunter during any legal bow season.

and I don't mean the mentally handicapped.

GEO
Old 10-26-2006, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogunn
my opinion on them is they should only be legal for the handicapped hunter during any legal bow season.

GEO

That was always my original thoughts, but now I'm thinking if everyone else is going to use them why not give it a try?
It sorta goes along with the original archery hunting argument when compound bows came out, the archers of the time only wanted longbows to be alowed...........

Muzzleloader season has gone the same route with inline front loaders and such as well as allowing percussion smokepoles.......

Dunno.................
Old 10-26-2006, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmcmrhp52
That was always my original thoughts, but now I'm thinking if everyone else is going to use them why not give it a try?
It sorta goes along with the original archery hunting argument when compound bows came out, the archers of the time only wanted longbows to be alowed...........

Muzzleloader season has gone the same route with inline front loaders and such as well as allowing percussion smokepoles.......

Dunno.................
Compounds and Muzzle loads that are modernized take the fun of the hunt out of it all.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

GEO
It's been legal in TN for a couple of years for anyone to hunt with one, not just handicapped. I figure, another year or two, and they'll be available second hand at a good price. I finally broke down last year, and bought a compound.I haven't hunted with it yet, I like my recurve bow.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad
It's been legal in TN for a couple of years for anyone to hunt with one, not just handicapped. I figure, another year or two, and they'll be available second hand at a good price. I finally broke down last year, and bought a compound.I haven't hunted with it yet, I like my recurve bow.
do you run a few decades behind crawdad?

the compound bow has been popular for about 50 years and you just bought one last year?

by that math, when you are about 105 years old, remind me of this thread and I'll buy you a 2006 year model crossbow.

GEO
Old 10-27-2006, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
do you run a few decades behind crawdad?

the compound bow has been popular for about 50 years and you just bought one last year?

GEO

Why yes, in fact, I do run a few decades behind, by my own choice.
As I said, I prefer my recurve bow, that I've been using since I quit whittling longbows out of wild cherry wood, and stringing them with hayrope.

Another example is when, instead of using a 7mm rem mag, I'd rather tote my Dad's old double-12, which I used last year to score this trophy.

Last edited by crawdad; 11-20-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Why is that Geo?
Old 10-27-2006, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

let me say this you woulnt find a more challenging way to hunt.especially wild pigs
Old 10-27-2006, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth1967
let me say this you woulnt find a more challenging way to hunt.especially wild pigs
When I lived in hawaii (decades ago) the natives would go pig hunting without guns. Just dogs and knives. I respectfully declined the invitation to join them.