Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2006, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dixie chopper ?

I am thinking about buying a dixie chopper does any one experiance with this mower ?
Old 11-24-2006, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been looking at Dixie Choppers and a Bobcat Prediator, the Dixie chopper is cheaper. (almost $1500)
But all summer as I have been driving by 2 local dealers which sell and service both brands. There is always a line of Dixie choppers outside each of there service area's.
I really mean EVERY TIME I drive by.
I don't know if people will stand up and tell the truth, but it scares me away from Dixie choppers.
Dolmar MS-260 C Trimmer
Dolmar MS-260 C
Echo SRM210 Trimmer
Echo PB210 Blower
Green Machine 4600LE
Mclane 801-3.5I/P Edger
Dolmar 5100s Chainsaw
Echo CS-520 Chainsaw
Echo CS-345 Chainsaw
Old 11-25-2006, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Own three, one 10 years commercial ran. great cut sound machine and will destroy leaves fast. do regular maintenance and have few problems..
Old 11-25-2006, 04:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomaniac
I don't know if people will stand up and tell the truth, but it scares me away from Dixie choppers.
I'm on my second Dixie now. Neither of my Dixies has ever been to a dealer for anything. As far as spare parts go I keep filters and blades.

Old 11-25-2006, 06:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I bought my 99 model 2260 used, this spring. I only had 10 accounts, but other than keeping the blades sharp and oil changed, have not needed a thing done to it. Not bad for a mower that has been used commercially for the 6 previous seasons.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have used them years ago they were good for the day,my dealer recently took them on because they have a following. My dealer and I laugh at them compared to the Hustler I bought. The design is archaic compared to my Hustler, they are a OK machine and have good motor options but are poorly designed and hard to work on compared to my Hustler. I would only buy one if it was a great deal.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have owned Dixie's since 94, the year I dumped Scag. I have owned at least 20 Dixie's, all 60", up to 28hp. In 12 years I have had only 1 Hydro problem and it was in a 2004 model. These mowers get at least 750 hours per year.
I would say the design is simple but tough. I have had more problems with the Kohler engines than the mower itself.
I keep them until 2000hrs and them trade them or sell them.
As far as easy to work on, I think they are easier to work on than any other mower I have owned.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomaniac
I have been looking at Dixie Choppers and a Bobcat Prediator, the Dixie chopper is cheaper. (almost $1500)
But all summer as I have been driving by 2 local dealers which sell and service both brands. There is always a line of Dixie choppers outside each of there service area's.
I really mean EVERY TIME I drive by.
I don't think you can go wrong with either dixie or bobcat. I run all bobcat and the only problem I've had was the kawi carb flooding . I've tried a dixie and liked it and am considering getting a dixie in the spring. Both are good mowers but different looks and the vtc is alittle different on the dixie. Best bet is to try both and see which one you like better because they are both very good machines. Also the last time I looked I think the bobcat 33hp was cheaper then the dixie 33hp.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCX
I don't think you can go wrong with either dixie or bobcat. I run all bobcat and the only problem I've had was the kawi carb flooding . I've tried a dixie and liked it and am considering getting a dixie in the spring. Both are good mowers but different looks and the vtc is alittle different on the dixie. Best bet is to try both and see which one you like better because they are both very good machines. Also the last time I looked I think the bobcat 33hp was cheaper then the dixie 33hp.
I wouldn't recomend the 33hp Dixie Chopper (the eXtreme), they have had plenty of pump problems and stuff with them, I would recomend the Flatlander (27hp Kohler) or the Supreme (28hp EFI Kohler), the Supreme is the best IMO for reliability and performance...

When the ignorant rule, civilization is brought down to their level...
Old 11-26-2006, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Right
I wouldn't recomend the 33hp Dixie Chopper (the eXtreme), they have had plenty of pump problems and stuff with them, I would recomend the Flatlander (27hp Kohler) or the Supreme (28hp EFI Kohler), the Supreme is the best IMO for reliability and performance...
The Extreme was the model, I have been looking at.
I figured with the hp and a name like that it would have to be there best. lol
I think I'm going to check out the Hustlers, before I buy the Bobcat.
Dolmar MS-260 C Trimmer
Dolmar MS-260 C
Echo SRM210 Trimmer
Echo PB210 Blower
Green Machine 4600LE
Mclane 801-3.5I/P Edger
Dolmar 5100s Chainsaw
Echo CS-520 Chainsaw
Echo CS-345 Chainsaw