Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2000, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Member

I am about to make a big order on some oil filters, air filters, and other supplies to last the season. In the past I have used all genuine Kohler brand parts to fit my Kohler engines. Are the replacement filters as good of quality as originals? Anybody use them? They are about half as much as ordering the originals from my dealer, but I'm not willing to sacrifice quality for a cheap price. Any suggestions?<p>----------<br>Bryan..Heartland Lawn Care<br>heartlandlawn@hotmail.com
Old 03-15-2000, 08:44 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
A 16hp Kohler can use a Fram PH3614 no problem.<p>Does anyone have a crossover for the CV-18 <br>V-Twin engine?<p>I only change my oil (Havoline full synithic)and filter in late fall<br>after fall clean up. Now that I have three<br>wide area mowers 1-62, 2-52&quot; the total yearly<br>operating hours are spread across three machines so no machine will exceed 300 hrs<br>for the season. Just make sure you clean<br>your air pre filter daily and change the<br>air filter elements as needed.
Old 03-15-2000, 09:51 AM

Hello Everybody:<p>I put up a post on Feb.29, 12:34pm Here is the URL:<br>http://www.lawnsite.com/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/chuck/bigtalker/discussion.cgi?forum=1&discussion=602<p>These are my ideas & they are based on my experience of 30 years of a very-very strong mechanical background. Also on facts that I have read on this over the years.<p>Here is a very informative study on engine oil filters & the URl:<p>http://www.minimopar.simplenet.com/oilfilterstudy.html<p>This URL is on my Valuable Internet Resources Page, I have just doubled the size of this page, this past Sunday & no 2 sites or more put together has the kind of information that I have, just for people in the Green Industry.<p>It is also on My Browser Start Up Page another first in the Green Industry!<p>I would read this info on Generic replacement parts, I personally do not think it is worth saving a few dollars on engines worth thousands.<br><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 03-15-2000, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Most companyís that make replacement parts (Stens, Rotary and Silver Streak) meet or exceeds the OEM parts. So when you order your parts see if the at least meet the OEM specks.<p>----------<br>http://mowerparts.hypermart.net<br>
Old 03-15-2000, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I must order from a different Rotary and Silver Streak, then.<p>My experience is that aftermarket parts fit and work, but lack the quality and longevity of OEM. The blades dull quicker, they're not as hard. The oil filters have smaller capicity and larger micron, so oil gets dirty quicker. The air filters don't use as good of a foam seal. Belts aren't as wide or deep and don't have as much reinforcement.<p>Don't get me wrong, I buy some aftermarket stuff, but I have never found any that was better than OEM.<p>
Old 03-16-2000, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Mr. Lazer,<br>I guess you just have bad luck with your parts. <br>I have found that most aftermarket parts exceed the OEM parts. The OEM suppliers make many of the aftermarket parts.<br>If you really want to know more about aftermarket parts order their parts catalog and check out the specs.<p>----------<br>http://mowerparts.hypermart.net<br>
Old 03-16-2000, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I bought some siver streak foam wraps, they were 100% $hit I ended up throwing em out and going with oem, they wouldnt seal all the way around, protruded at the seam (mold mark?). The paper air filters and blades seem fine to me though.<p>Bill
Old 03-16-2000, 06:20 PM

Lazer:<br>My experience has been the same as yours. Having some problems with a aftermarket air filter for a Honda 21&quot; as I post this. OEM parts are worth my money most of the time.
Old 03-17-2000, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful<p>Last year i ordered 2 oil filters for kawasaki 14 and 12.5 moters from a big <br>mail order copany upon arrival of my (cheap priced oil filters) I inspected them. same black satin color on the outside.Hmmm but upon turning them over to where the oil inlet and outlet holes are .what should i see but a strange metal coating it looked like the filter was dipped to cover up cheap manufacturing.Some of this coating for lack of a better word.was so lose my pocket knife could lossen in with a light touch of the blade tip. NOT going on my 3000.00 doller mowers. the mail order comp said they were trying out new supplyers and had not had that problem before . will try the purralators cross match that has been mentioned previosly in this forum .
Old 03-17-2000, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Larry, please explain yourself on the hours of use. 300 hours each machine for the year.<br>please elaborate on this, your in Pa. which I assume has a 25 week growing season, 300 hours divided by 25 is 12, which means each mower has 12 hours per week put on it, which means 2.4 hours per day.Is this possible or are my numbers wrong. My average hours per week in Ma. are at least 30 hours times that by 25 and it equals 750 hours per season, and they are used more than that!! Every mower has an hour meter on it and PM is of the utmost importance. Do you just mow a few days a week? Please reply you act if you have a huge business but if you only mow 2.4 hours a day, you might get the idea that a little BS is going on, I wait for your answer with bated breath.<p>----------<br>grasskutter@cs.com<br>