Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2000, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Is there anybody on the forum who mows right of ways. (interstate, highway, pipeline, etc.)
Old 03-14-2000, 05:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,<br>I don't mow right aways for the state but we have to maintain many drainage swells here along the shoulder of the runways/taxiways. Its kind of a unique situation, In that it really only needs to be done twice a year, once in the spring, once in the fall, or even once, as I see alot of guys do, once in the fall.<p>Equipment is somewhat speialized. We just purchased a flair arm mower for our tractor to replace our old model. We are right now awaiting the arrival of a bomford b81-81 arm mower, a 26 foot reach model with a 3 ft head. Price.....is that important? lol---42,000 (oh, not the mention the 70k tractor needed to run the thing). Ouch...We had a 14 footer but it just didn't do anything for us. It only had about 300 hrs on it and traded in for 8k. A real deal for someone.. <p>From what i heard, and from my own experiences, flail mowers are the way to go... You never know what may be hiding out there in that tall grass, so the flails are the best for riding over it without taking too much of a beating. <p>If you are looking for this equipment, have fun. The arm mower market is a mess. It turns out that Alamo basically owns the market. They have a share in every manufacturer out there. Its a definite monopoly. If you try to shop for price, good luck, because they are all connected and just call each other up when shopping around. Especially with bomford. Alamo is not as bad though.<p>Don't know if this is any help, but figured I'd share what I know with you. If I were pricing it out, I would go with a hourly charge, figuring out the cost of equip. and operator per hour. If its for the state, Don't be shy to price a little higher....<p>steveair<p>
Old 03-14-2000, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Steveair,<p>I have seen in past post were you also run tractors with batwings. Do you have any productivity data for this setup on uneven ground. I'm getting ready to bid on an industrial park with about 10 miles of road right of ways to cut. Almost all of it is wide enough to run a 15' batwing down the middle of the ditch with the wings cutting the sides. I was planning on making one pass on the tractor then have 72&quot; lazer Z come behind it to trim what is left. The only thing I'm not sure about is travel speed with on even ground with a 15' batwing. I'll be pulling it with a 85hp tractor. And it will be cut every two weeks during the growing season.
Old 03-15-2000, 05:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey hardy,<br>sounds like you have pretty much the same setup as us for a mower, but ours is a 20 foot deck. For times, I'll say this. If the grass is short, been mowed every two weeks, we travel around 10 mph with the deck. If it is tall, say 8 inches to 3 ft, speeds are drastically reduced, down to 1 to 3 mph. Now, we run in fields, so if you have to maneuver around trees, guard rail, signs, etc, I 'd imagine you have to slow it down a bit. Also, when it gets real tall, 1+ feet, you almost need to mow it twice, because the first pass leaves a lot of &quot;hairs&quot; sticking up. We try to cut at around 4 inches, but get away with a little more in some areas. Also, with 85 horse and only a 15 footer, you can probaly get those blades spinning stronger than we can. The 20 ft shulte we have is big and heavy and gets bogged down with our case 5130. You should probably have a little more power than we do, at least I would imagine. <p>I take it you will use the small mower around the signs, posts etc, to clean up around them. We do pretty much the same around our lights, but use 72' toro groundmasters with mulching decks (we can't have grass blowing onto runway_) They do a pretty good job, so you should have good luck using your small mower.<p>I don't know much about it, but is insurance a issue. Those big decks can shoot some hefty material out, so I'd be worried about hitting any thing driving by, cars, or store windows and stuff like that. Once in while, we here stuff bouce off airplanes (well, not airplanes but more like 30 million dollar jets) parked on the ramp 100 ft away.. Never did any damage, but it definitely gets you on your toes. <p>Hope to have been of some help,<br>steveair
Old 03-16-2000, 05:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hardy, We do roadside slashing every now and then.(We mainly to overgrown land clearing) Best we to go would be 75-85hp<br>tractor with a 6-7' bush hog(slasher).You<br>can do quite a fair rate of knots in grass <br>up to,say,1 1/2 foot high.Forget air-con cabs<br>though.Lot of guys here starting to use a/c<br>cabs and they are a pain in the ass,unstable<br>and always hanging up on trees.If you have <br>any other questions my e-mail is<br>southside@windsor.net.au<p>Karl