Register free!

Old 02-20-2007, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Flower Time

bulbs not even poping and the flowers have been ordered

Well I pulled the trigger today.

10,000 flowers 142 different types/colors for 182 beds.

Not counting the 30 pots with misc tropicals and such....
Old 02-21-2007, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't I still see pictures of cold weather and snow out on the "other side" of our country or have you been missed?
Old 02-21-2007, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

we just got about 4" ice/sleet last Wed. just now startingto melt.

I preorder all my flowers for the spring and my bulbs for the fall I wont put any flowers in the ground until Mid April. I gotta give my grower a chance to grow the plants I want.

I put 1/2 the flowers in the ground before graduation and the other half after....with the regular maintenance adn other odds/ends it takes about 2 months to get it all done...Usually first or second of week of june I'm all done.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What size do you plant? I'm guessing you mix it up? I'm surprised for that many flowers the university does not give you a green house to grow your own.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

most are 6" annual, some 4.5" and some 10"...

Gotta remember There's a lot of work in growing flowers, and it takes space. Being in DC we have very little "disposable space" and it would cost me far much more money to hire a person just to grow the flowers on campus.

Now if we had a good AG department I would consider it. But imagine trying to get 10K flowers to grow and keep em alive until they all get in the ground...One night with a heater going out during a freeze would ruin the entire crop....

I'll probably spend 25K on flowers just for the spring. Best part is the grower holds onto the flowers until I need them. so if they die while they are still in their nursery, their loss not mine...
Old 02-21-2007, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm getting my order together right now. We also do not grow the flowers ourselves...to much trouble. Although this is the first year I will have to 'bid' out the job. If we spend over a certain amount we have to get at least 3 bids. In the past they just kinda overlooked it for my flowers and I could get anybody to grow them....not anymore

Marc, with 142 different types I guess you plant alot of perennials?or mainly annuals like begonias?or both? Everytime I get away from planting annuals and try different perennials the beds (pots really we have LOTS of pots and a few beds) start looking like a bunch of weeds after the big show of flowers.

Last edited by AUHort1990; 02-21-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

that list is 100% annual nothing stays.... here it is...
Canna 3 types, Ageratum Hawaii Blue, Alternathera Gails Choice, Alyssum 2 types, Bacopa Cabana 2 types, Begonia 6 types, Caladium 4 types,
Calibrachoa Superbells, 3 types, Carexm Ever gold, Cleome Spirit Appleblossom, Coleus 4 types, Cuphea Flamenco Samba, Dahlia 2 types, Dianthus 6 types, Euphorbia Diamond Frost, Fuchsia Shadow Dance 2 types,
Gazania Daybreak Mix, Geranium 8 types, Helichrysum Icicles, Impatien 20 types, Ipomea Margarita, Lantana 7 types, Marigold 2 types, Nemesia opal and pink Innocence, new Guinea 8 types, Oxalis Charmed Wine, Oxalis garden Hardy pink, Pennisetum 3 types, Penta Butterfly Pink, Petunia 10 types, Phlox 2 types, Portulaca Tequila White, Salvia 3 types, Setcreasea Purple Queen
Snap Dragon Montego White, Snapdragon Montego Red, Strobianthus, Swedish Ivy varigated, Torenia Summer wave amythyst, Torenia Summer wave violet, Verbena Babylon 3 types, Vinca 11 types, Zinna Star Orange,
Zinna Star White

I guess from you climate some of these are perennials...I love to find a cold hardy lantanna
Old 02-21-2007, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

We treat all of our beds and pots as annuals even if we plant a perennial. We always plant pansies and violas in winter so we have to make room for them by removing everything.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUHort1990 View Post
We treat all of our beds and pots as annuals even if we plant a perennial. We always plant pansies and violas in winter so we have to make room for them by removing everything.
we some pansies in the fall, but by the time spring rolls around they look like chit.... with no supplemental h2o it does em in....
Old 03-05-2007, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

There must be something about flowers and the SEC. I'm an old UT grad. We put in about 6000 annuals on the golf course each year. I'm trying to cut back and convert to more perennials. Seems like us Vols are always a bridesmaid to the gators.