Register free!

Old 07-14-2001, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Member

One wire two values?

I have a question for you. I went to a job that had two many values and not enough stations at the timer to run them. A couple of them were hooked up to one wire. There all 3/4" values hooked to 3/4" main line. Theres barely enough gpm to push all the heads in one value at a time. I know they have a device that can split one wire from the timer into two, but will they come on at different times. How does that work? I can't have to values on at once theres not enough flow to get good coverage. What's your suggestion?
Old 07-14-2001, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Try the irrigation forum.
Old 07-15-2001, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I've heard of these devices, but never seen one or installed one. I believe they're some sort of switch that switches the incoming power between one valve and another valve at a present time. I'll ask the service guy tomorrow. Have you ruled out the possibility of installing a larger or second controller. At some point it will probably be more economical to install another controller. i'm sure these switches aren't cheap.

-Jay
Old 07-15-2001, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Well its been so long since i have used one that I cant remember the brand name but there is a unit that wires in to the valve called a splitter and it will delay the second valve from coming on for a while.The only hang up is that you have to go through the system by the numbers for it to work.I mean zone 1, then zone 2,then zone 3,you get the picture.If you are checking out the system and only want to see that zone- it won't work.you cant skip around the clock and make it come on.The units are pretty reliable though.
Old 07-17-2001, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is acutuly a couple ways to handle this. The easiest is use a product called add a zone or quick link. Cost is around 80 to 140 for these devices. It's just a time saver realy. Better than digging and runninng irrigation wire from timer to valve. If it's easy access, just run a new wire.

First, your timer must be able to be jumped. Low end homeowner timers may not work for you. Most of these devices use the same common and positive leave. The device tricks the the valve using a simple relay system. Problem is: You have to use the same type watering, it can't be one valve a drip system( gph) one grass(gpm)
John
Old 07-18-2001, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

more valves than stations

Whatever method you use a new controller will be required. The splitter doesn't have a brain of it's own.

If each valve has wire returning to the controller it may be best and easiest to install a new controller.

Check to see if performance is significantly better when only one valve runs before doing any work. Flow should generally not exceed 10 GPM with the size pipe and valves your working with.

If the wires are joined in the field and not at the controller a splitter may have to be added. Splitters I've used simply had a electro magnetic switch inside. Each time power came on and off it would automatically flip to the opposite wire. You still must have a controller station for each valve but do not need a wire for each valve. That will still necessitate a new controller.

If valves are located close and convenient to the controller, replace the controller and add the required wire to the valves.
Old 07-18-2001, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Harold, nice post.

David