Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2007, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Customer said my estimate was way off... whats your input

Kinda of a noobie question but I think this guy is trying to rip me off big time. He has about 28,000 square feet of lawn that he wants reseeded and fertalized. From my local vendor I'm getting my seed and fertalizer from, which is a nursery, I can get enough seed for approximately $70 and enough fertalizer for about $65. This guy is telling me he has had other guys fertalize and seed his lawn for $80-$100. I'm just wondering if this guy is for real or if I'm just paying way too much for seed. I usually charge my customers the price of material and $40/hour that it would take me. I told him about $175 for everything and he told me I was way off. And yes, this if my first year getting into the seeding and fertalizing. I used to just mow and thats it,
Thanks in advanced
Old 04-08-2007, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

are you liscensed to fertilize? try calling a few other places and getting prices for the seed. see if you cant get it for cheaper than what your paying now. then tell him he should call up the "other guys" and have them do it.

Last edited by Raven386; 04-09-2007 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

even if you can get it cheaper, dont lower your price. he is probably trying to get you to lower your price thinking you would because your still a newbie to this stuff. and also. Welcome to Lawnsite!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

unless you can somehow get the seed/fert for half price what are your options? and hell even then your profit wouldnt bee very good

where you stand now your cost for meterials are $135 so you stand to make
40 bucks atleast until you figure out what it cost to operate your business
the fuel it cost to get the supplies insurance yada yada when you sit down and look at your real cost of business this job will cost you money at $175
Old 04-09-2007, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

ohh yah welcome to lawnsite
Old 04-09-2007, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny H View Post
Kinda of a noobie question but I think this guy is trying to rip me off big time. He has about 28,000 square feet of lawn that he wants reseeded and fertalized. From my local vendor I'm getting my seed and fertalizer from, which is a nursery, I can get enough seed for approximately $70 and enough fertalizer for about $65. This guy is telling me he has had other guys fertalize and seed his lawn for $80-$100. I'm just wondering if this guy is for real or if I'm just paying way too much for seed. I usually charge my customers the price of material and $40/hour that it would take me. I told him about $175 for everything and he told me I was way off. And yes, this if my first year getting into the seeding and fertalizing. I used to just mow and thats it,
Thanks in advanced

I don't understand why this comes up all the time.

Me: $175.00 for the services sir/maam

Customer: That's too much, I paid $100.00 with the other guy.

Me: Here's my card, have a nice day and oh, btw, if you can give THAT GUY my number, I have a number of jobs for him to do. Again, have a nice day.

You know what it costs you to do this job, you are obviously intelligent in that you know your prices. Most would have said okay to the lower price and maybe even thrown in a discount. .

95% of the time if you lower your price, you lose. Not only the job but the money and the respect of the customer. Lower now and lower forever. Firm now and firm forever. There are a FEW exceptions but again, atleast you were smart enough to know your prices!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Ha, thanks guys! I am new to this but I'm not a dumb @$$ either. I sat down, calculated cost of material and labor, gave him the price and he stepped back and said "woah, wait a minute". I was confident with my estimate and I did exactly what Liquidfast said I told him to call the "other guy". He also wanted about 780 square feet of grass removed so he can put stone around his pool and I quoted him at $240 for that and he said "the other guy" gave him an estimate of $150 and another guy gave him a price at $175. But then the shmuck tells me and he really wants ME to do it and he wants to know what i can do about the price. This was all on friday. He called me 2 times since then asking me what the deal was. I told him I already told him my price and thats that. He said he'll give me a call tomorrow. He also wants me to do his lawn but I can just tell that this guy has been through quite a few different "guys" taking care of his yard just by the BS he's putting me through already.

I was just wondering if I was really far off on my estimate. I dont think I was and I still dont think I was even after really thinking about it.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Ha, thanks guys! I am new to this but I'm not a dumb @$$ either. I sat down, calculated cost of material and labor, gave him the price and he stepped back and said "woah, wait a minute". I was confident with my estimate and I did exactly what Liquidfast said I told him to call the "other guy". He also wanted about 780 square feet of grass removed so he can put stone around his pool and I quoted him at $240 for that and he said "the other guy" gave him an estimate of $150 and another guy gave him a price at $175. But then the shmuck tells me and he really wants ME to do it and he wants to know what i can do about the price. This was all on friday. He called me 2 times since then asking me what the deal was. I told him I already told him my price and thats that. He said he'll give me a call tomorrow. He also wants me to do his lawn but I can just tell that this guy has been through quite a few different "guys" taking care of his yard just by the BS he's putting me through already.

I was just wondering if I was really far off on my estimate. I dont think I was and I still dont think I was even after really thinking about it.
Yeah he sounds like a PITA.
As far as price goes...it's all relative to your area. Prices are different everywhere so it is hard to say. Call around to all the suppliers in your area. But it sounds like the guy just thinks the price is negotiable. Your price sounded right to me. And the price for grass removal sounds right on too. There is no way in h-e-l-l I would remove that much grass for 150 or 175. $240 or a little more.

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
But then the shmuck tells me and he really wants ME to do it and he wants to know what i can do about the price.

Tell him you can accept the price in cash or check.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
Tell him you can accept the price in cash or check.
will do.. I gues it's worth a shot

Thanks to everyone else. You guys have been a great help!

BTW this is a really great site!