Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-05-2000, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

As a lawn care co. owner I feel the visual of my lawn is important. I understand the utilities co. has a right of way onto my property. What do I have the rights to do if my lawn (and the flower beds they are also going thru)is not returned to its original state.
Old 03-05-2000, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you talking about your own lawn or your customers? About 10 yrs ago the gas co installed new plastic mains and individual service lines in an area where I had a dozen customers. I just talked to one of the workers, and got the direct phone line of the district supervisor. (The peons doing the digging don't care much for the desk sitters in any business) Then when repairs weren't done well enough on one of my sites, I gave the name and # to my customer. Managers hate to be bothered, and will do anything to stop calls! My customers mostly got sod instead of seed, and so on.<p>But what if it is your house? Then you have to get a little pointed with the peons. When same renovation was in our neighborhood, guys were going to use vib plow to drag line to next door house. Would have cut half of roots on two huge oaks over our houses. I told the workers that my wife would take pics of work, and if the trees died within 10 years of date, we would ask gas co to pay the $4-5K to remove trees, and also ask for several $K to cover extra cooling for both houses for 100 years. Workers said co had the money, but when I got home that nite, the line was hand trenched.<p>Bottom line: they know what a disaster they are doing, and will only do it right if you tell them you know how to do it right.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<br>
Old 03-05-2000, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Jim. It is my house, I took pics this morning, and when the original rep came to tell me they would be working on my lawm I told him the business I owned and that my pain and suffering had allready started with the thought of my lawn being worked over.