Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2000, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I know a person that is constantly having problems with flats on his mowers. He was told by his dealer of a sealant that can be put into his tires that will basically seal off a puncture as soon as it happens. I have also heard of "foam filling" tires. Does anyone know anything about either of these? Has anyone done anything in particular to protect against flats?
Old 03-04-2000, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello KB,<br>Where i work we have 2 toro 325 d ground masters and calcium filled all the tires on them. It works great. We had 2 to 3 flats a year before on each machine and now have none.<p>One thing is weight though. the tires weigh a ton, and noticed the machines sink a little easier on wet terrain. Also, they ride quite a bit rougher.<p>As for tire wear, well, not bad. The tread is still good and we plan to run those tires untill we see calcium oozing out. We only do <br>fields so looks aren't importany. On a residential lawn though, you may have to change them earlier since bald tire can track up a lawn pretty bad. Also, because of the weight, your lines may not be as nice with the heavier tires leaving tracks.<p>Foam or whatever would probably be better for mowing areas where looks are essential. I don't know much about the foam or other products like &quot;slime&quot;, but imagine they might be better.
Old 03-04-2000, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We foam fill everything.<p>It does add weight and cost. The ride is comprimised slightly, but tire life doubles and no flats.
Old 03-04-2000, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We &quot;slime&quot; everything. It works great.
Old 03-04-2000, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I also &quot;slime&quot; everything, mowers, wheelbarrows, spreaders, trailer tires.
Old 03-04-2000, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I have used Slime with and Stens tire sealent. The Stens worked the best. I have also used a tire sealent sold in the Lesco store that works very well also.<p>----------<br>http://mowerparts.hypermart.net<br>
Old 03-04-2000, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have used Slime and it has worked well in some apps and not so well in others. I think the main thing is to use the right amount. Mower tires take alot and sometimes people are tempted to use less than it calls for.<p>Last spring I put a new set of Carlisle chevron tires on my Grasshopper. Two days later one was completely flat and had a big slice in the sidewall. I think someone cut it with a knife. I needed the mower and had no more tires so I stuck two plugs in and Slimed it. It is still on the mower and doesn't leak air to this day.
Old 03-05-2000, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use stens & slime- slime is a little cheaper, but avoid the urge to be skimpy & put the right amt. in. Be sure you take the valve out of the valve stem if you use automotive fix-a-flat. It will gum up your valve & leak air out.<br>Also a 'stitch in time' is to go to walmart & buy a 2.99 kit of tire plugs. Do it yourself, & carry a portable air tank too, & you won't be wrenching the tire off & driving to the gas station-wasted time.<br>Haven't tried foam fill yet- heard the story of hitting bumps, curbs, etc. & denting the foam in & having a pocket of air left & no pressure to keep the tire round in that area. It sounds possible, but I'm not for sure.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 03-05-2000, 12:39 PM

Hello:<p>After having a couple of expensive flats & learning the hard way, I put Slime in everything.<p>We took it a little further with the air tank. I got tired of the air tank, so we got one of those 12 volt plug in air compressors. Then later we cut the plug (cigarette lighter plug) end off then & attached 2 battery clamps.<p>This way we could take the pump to the mower & hook it up to the mower battery. Instead of taking the mower to the truck so we could plug it in.<p>Sometimes if you start loosing air fast & try to make it to truck, the bead would seperate, then it is a real pain to get the bead to seal back.<p>We kept the tank mainly for doing on the spot carb work & cleaning out air filters. We had a quick disconnect so we could put spray chuck or a tire chuck end on it.<p>It worked out very well & saved us a lot of downtime.<p><br><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 03-05-2000, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A cheap way to have air on any site is to mount an old a/c compressor to your engine, a pressure regulator, a small air tank in the bed. And wire in a on/off switch. Beauty of this is air on demand any time. No hassles of looking for an outlet for a store bought compressor. Ability to drive air tools unlike the 12v cigarette plug in compressors.<br> Might not be ideal if you have a newer truck that has working a/c. But with an older vehicle that has no a/c or the a/c doesn't work it would be good.<br>