Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2000, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Im thinking of placing a small classified ad in our local paper under the service directory section but was curious how others did. Im thinking of just offering mow, edge, trim type service. i have other accounts that keep me busy but could use a few more clients...are people who respond to classified advertising good clients or otherwise? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2000, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I did real good in the local paper when I started out eight years ago, circulation 45,000 and its distribution was confined to the city and adjoining suburbs cost was 50/month for 3 lines, but now the paper has expanded and the cost is up to 250+ so I wouldnt use it, no sense fielding calls from folks outside my area. Besides Im at the point where referrals now fill any vacancies in my schedule, usually due to death or moving.<p>Not a bad idea if its truly a local paper. Most results were from april 30-June 30. Go figure.<p>Bill
Old 02-27-2000, 01:51 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Newspaper ads are OK, but you will end up doing a lot of taveling. I would make up a flier and pass it out in the areas where you already work. This will cut down on traveling time if you get work in the same area you are already at. Also tell your present customers that you need a few more lawns to do and ask them if they know of anyone in your area needing your services. WOM, or word of mouth advertising is the best you can get. Unless you tell them you could use extra work, they don't know, so plant the seed and you will grow. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 02-27-2000, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

my company started out with newspaper advertising and now have moved to yellow page and newspaper advertising. Last year, we paid out $380.00 for the newspaper which generated a total of $10,000.00 in new business. It might not work for some, but it works great for us.
Old 02-27-2000, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Advertising in the service directory is how I got started. I have advertised for the past five years and have consistently grown my business by 30% to 50% just from the newspaper. <br>This year I am trying phone book ads, though. The newspaper is becoming to expensive for what you get.<br>As far as good customers, I only had a handful that weren't what I would consider good. <br>I think the newspaper service directory is the way to go when starting out.<p>----------<br>Justin<br>
Old 02-27-2000, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Member

There is a local newspaper in my area that I run an ad called the tip of the week. I run these ads every two weeks from March to September. The tips are about lawn care to landscaping and this has helped add to my customer base over the years. I still think word of mouth is the best and the cheapest.<p>Royce
Old 02-27-2000, 07:13 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
My local paper (55k+ circulation) you can<br>place a 3 line classified for 30 days in the<br>find a business area for about $100.<p>Start off with the word affordable so you<br>listing will be in the first five.<p>Here is a copy that has worked for me in the<br>past.<p>Affordable seasonal lawn mowing, de-thatching, core aeration,fertilization, spring clean-up, Free Estimates 555-1212<p>You don't need to give a lot of details<br>in a newspaper ad. Basic is best.
Old 02-27-2000, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This one always worked for me:<p>Make up a letter to mail to all your existing customers telling them you will give them one free cut for every lawn the get you ( a contract for, not just a referral) That will come up the next time the neighbors or relatives are over the house admiring your work!<p><p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 02-29-2000, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i did pretty good in the paper thats how i have about 10 of my 20 i got a few more acct than that but i dropped them they were real trashy i took them just to get income, i am saving my money to put in a 1/4 page add in the yellow pages for next year i hope that will help me i would like to have a about 50 residential accts, because i work by myself and kind of want to keep it that way employees seem to be more trouble than there worth<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 02-29-2000, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

SERVICE GUIDES ARE GREAT THE PEOPLE THAT LOOK THERE ARE LOOKING TO HAVE SOMETHING DONE NOT JUST LOOKING AT THE PAPER. THE OBIT. SECTION IS A ANOTHER PLACE TO PUT A GOOD AD . THE SERVICE GUIDE WORKED FOR MY LANDSCAPING BIZ LAST YEAR AND GARDEN TILLING THIS YEAR I'M RUNNING AN AD FOR MY OUTDOOR WOOD PROJECTS I.E. DECK FENCE ARBORS TRELLIS BENCHES ETC. HOPE THIS HELPS JARRETT