Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2000, 07:56 PM
snow

I have a small landscaping business. I currently use a 6hp, 5 speed 21&quot; snapper. This year I would like to get a 36&quot; walkbehind. I would get a 48&quot;, actually I prefer a 48&quot;, but the gates that some of my customers have limit me from getting a 48&quot; inside. I would like to know, who do you think makes the best 36&quot; gear-drive? I'm thinking of getting a used one, so which brand would you buy used if the mower was in good/ok shape?<br>Thanks<p>Bryan<p>----------<br>The Snowplow Homepage<br>http://www.snowplow.web.com
Old 03-02-2000, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at the Gateway by Great Dane. I think this would be the best solution.
Old 03-02-2000, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think from reading this forum so much i would buy a toro or an exmark. That is what ive heard everyone say.
Old 03-02-2000, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I would get a Toro . I have compared them to all other major brands.It cuts bermuda and zoyzia and mulches leaves. To mulch leaves you will need to block the discharge but it works great
Old 03-02-2000, 10:14 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If I was buying a new walk behind, I would buy an Exmark. I hear they are really good. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 03-02-2000, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

The Exmark floating deck will let you go down to 1.5 inches--I believe the Toro will only go to 2 inches. I like my ancient Scag and my 2-year old JD okay, but they stay in the barn (unless it's wet) now that I have the Exmark 36&quot; floater.
Old 03-02-2000, 10:44 PM

If you are going to buy a used mower i would buy an exmark, bobcat or a scag, which ever is more common in your area and you can get parts for easily.
Old 03-02-2000, 10:44 PM

If you are going to buy a used mower i would buy an exmark, bobcat or a scag, which ever is more common in your area and you can get parts for easily.
Old 03-02-2000, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well Brian, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you won't be cutting alot of residential lawns consisting of Zosia or Bermuda at 1.5&quot; since you're from New England. I'm in the north as well and we have three 36&quot; Ransomes and use them in exactly the situations you would be. They are fixed decks and pistol grips. A 36&quot; deck is lightweight and you can push down on the handgrips when going over bumps to avoid scalping. You don't need a floating deck IMO. Our first Ransomes is a 14hp Kohler and is going into its 8th season. Probably has cut over 10,000 lawns and runs as well now as it did day one. <p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>
Old 03-02-2000, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Bryan. I run nothing but Exmark mowers, and have had nothing but great luck with them. I think you'll find that all of the 3 brands mentioned above can be very dependable, but what drove me to buying a &quot;Mark&quot; was the quality of cut that I get. I remember the when I demoed these three different brands. I personally liked the cut that the &quot;Mark&quot; gave much better than anything else I saw. It's all a matter of opinion. As far as buying a used Mark that's a year, or so old. You should be able to pick a good one up for around $1700 (36&quot. Be sure to do your homework though, and make sure that you buy whatever brand because you think it's the best for you. They're all good!<p>Vic