Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2007, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ryco Engineering Transformers

Got two 600 watt transformers to try out today in the mail from Ryco Engineering. 12,13,14,15 volt taps for each 300 watt side, reset breakers for each 300 watt side, stainless and flip up( on hinges) panel for wires, lugs big enough for an 8-2, UL listed and rated indoor or outdoor. photo-cell and digital hour timer ( the kind you can pick how long it stays on after dark up to 9 hours). built in. possibly can be bypassed for external timer, but not sure yet. still playing with it.

On first impression, I'm impressed, the fit and finish seem very good, and DANG, this thing is HEAVY. I had trouble getting it out of the box. on my scale it weighs 38 lbs, on the website it lists shipping weight as 36lbs. I'm pretty sure these out weigh the 600 watt FX units I am currently using by 10 pounds or so. hopefully that weight is wire and not some chunk of lead they stuck in there.

best of all cost wise these are about half what I am paying for fx transformers from my local distributor.

anybody have experience with these?
Old 06-22-2007, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

never heard of em. Sounds like a pantech ? Post some pics or a link. I doubt I will switch again. I just changed from cast to kichler transformers. Im looking for one with 6 inches below the terminals or more so I can get my fat frickin hands in there easy. Drop downs are a pain in the rump when your just trying to add a run.

I wasnt nuts about the FX transformers I have worked with but I do like the superblox I have only worked with the powder coated ones tho on an existing job
Old 06-22-2007, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

www.rycosupplies.com
Old 06-22-2007, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just my opinion here, but that stuff looks cheeeeeeep.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

best of all cost wise these are about half what I am paying for fx transformers from my local distributor.

Dave, for what it's worth, the words "local distributer" and "cost-wise" don't go together for me, at least not where I am.

I'm assuming you've either bought on-line or looked into it?

Mike M
Old 06-22-2007, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've bought them online, just to try them. I agree they look cheap in the pictures online, and I was expecting a light, malibu like transformer. that is not what I've got.

put it side by side an fx or nightscaping, and it's no question, folks would assume the ryco is the higher quality, and I tend to agree based on fit,finish, and weight. I wish I had an 11 volt tap for close in fixtures, but I may just extend my leads a bit to get to 11.5 at the fixture.

I'd like to post pics, but my camera is down and I'm looking for another camera. the pics on the website above are a bit blurry, but basically show the item.

I'll plug in both tomorrow, put a tester on it, and let you guys know what I find.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

notice the first light you see on thier page is a dabmar light. These are branded in alot of names.. Kichler... dabmar... corona. Just my opinion even the pantech transformers at fold and sold look better than these.. Lets hear some numbers. Install one at your house and see how it performs.

I was talking to another contractor who installs pantech in place of cast or kichler as a cost savings measure. I asked them how they perform and how they like them and they said they have been very good and come with a lifetime warranty... then they added only 1 blew up so far Thanks but no thanks I will stick with proven performers.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I pulled one of those off of a job about a year ago. It was toast. I'm not sure what happened to it but the lighting system that it was on was a typical landscaper install.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 06-23-2007, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I also threw one in the dumpster about 2 years ago. I have seen these out in the field and it signals to me when I see one - unprofessional.

They really are poor quality. 1 channel was not working and the digital clock was broken. They were installed by a "pro" lighting company and was less than a year old.

Just my .02!
(770) 402-8837
www.southeasternoutdoorlighting.com
Old 06-23-2007, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I see them on EBAY all the time.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com