Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-18-2007, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Would you cut it??

Just wondering if anyone doesn't cut overgrown yards. I turned down a yard today because it was so bad.
I told her it was probably a 45$ yard, but it too out of control for me.
Getting sick of people that want me to let the yard get really long then call me to cut it "as short as you can". And they won't let me come mow it weekly.
This yard was insane. Just wondering what you guys thought.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just quoted a guy 300 for the inital cut, and 125 a month to mainatian a 80x120' lot. Guy has a million dollar waterfront home with St Augustine 3 ft high.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Well this lady wasn't wanting to hire me for weekly maintenance. Otherwise, I would have figured out something.
This was crazy thick weeds up to my waist. lol
Old 07-18-2007, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have stopped doing ONE time cuts with the exception of some realtors or some accounts that I can get to on my schedule. If they cannot wait until I am scheduled to be in that area, then they do not get cut by me.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i broke my clutch cutting high grass, dont cut it if its super high!
-1999 Scag SWZ Hydro Walk-Behind 17hp Kawasaki 52" Deck
-T230 Shindaiwa Trimmer w/ Speed Feed
-223L Husqvarna Trimmer
-Stihl KM110R w/ Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
-EBZ7100 RedMax Blower
-145BT Husqvarna Blower
Old 07-19-2007, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I never suggest it. Not even if you are desperate. Like dillon mentioned, parts break when you (you machines) bite off more than they can chew.

I had a co-employee beg me to mow her [boyfriend's] yard for it being so high...charged her $35...A STEAL that when I look back on anyone should POUNCE! AFter i cut the 2 ft high nightmare, I suggested if she wanted me to ever mow it again, we MUST set up a schedule, biweekly, or...dare i say it...triweekly. This was in the middle of May when i cut the nightmare, ended up replacing a belt and was very close to replacing a spindle.

ON the Forth of July, she begs me AGAIN to mow her yard due a lein to be issued the following weekend...

I can't believe I wasted a thought and my valuable time even considering the insane request...grass was THREE AND A FRIGGIN HALF FOOT TALL IN ALL PLACES! I tell her my equipment simply cannot handle the overgrowth. Keep in mind that being in this state we've received about 20 inches of rain between the last time i cut her yard and her last request to hack it down again.

On top of that she has only partially paid me for the last time i essentially brushhogged. She does have personal problems as far as divorce aftermath, 2 kids, and poor housing conditions (from what i could judge by looking at the run down shack that was in the middle of the overgrown weeds)...but as a business person, your business ethics, if they are in good standing, can only allow for so much sympathy for someone that has made very poor decisions and only being 27 years of age. Oh well, some people just gotta learn.....

Just as a side note, her boyfriend broke down and bown a lawn mower to ack down the grass and ended up getting bitten by a black widow spider while doing it... AND my co-employee at my place of employment quit the day after the Forth....so I can safely assume i won't see the rest of my payment for the last time...
Old 07-19-2007, 05:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a sometimes customer who broke her old mower and let her lawn go for months last year. I spent two hours hacking it with the string trimmer before I was able to mow it. Then mowed it for most the rest of the season. She said she had her mower fixed I thought, but this year she let the lawn go until June then called me. I couldn't even string trim it, it was too green and just wrapped around the head every 30 seconds. Ended up renting a brush hog for $40, cut it 3 times before I could get the mower in the yard, mowed it twice before it looked decent. Took me two hours, I only charged her $30 an hour plus the $40 for the rental. I plowed her this winter too, but I hate doing it because she's a divorcee with kids and always crying poor mouth and I feel bad charging her. But, it isn't my responsibility to take care of her either.
Which brings me to the other lawn. There is a lady nearby who I'm told has been looking for somebody but can't find someone to mow her yard. It has a whole seasons worth of hay, which is now laid down due to the rain. It would need to be brush hogged repeatedly before mowing also. I am not sure if I want to take it on, and if I did I would charge a lot more than the other one. I can't help but wonder what the real story is, if she really wanted to find someone I bet she could pick up a newspaper. She probably wants a neighborhood kid to do it for $5. But I know I could handle the job and I would like to get another account real close to another one I do.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

This lady got kind of mad and said" well it's been raining for 6 weeks" which is bs. She tried to act like it wasn't her fault. I said "well I mow just about everyday.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Ever thought of burning it?
Old 07-20-2007, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Moto is 12" or under. No brush hogging for me unless it is a long time customer that has moved into a jungle. I have one semi customer that calls me once a month to cut her grass. She cuts it 3 times a month. It is usually 7 inches. we have understanding it will cost her 2 dollar per minute. I keep telling here I will do it for 30 a cut but she keeps calling me averaging 70 a cut. go figure.