Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 08-27-2007, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

52" Mini Z power/cut concerns

Hello everyone. First post here but I've been viewing for 3 months. Great site!
Demoed a 52"mini Z yesterday. 2006 I think (serial #06031526) w/20hp Kohler. Terrific handling based on limited experience w/bushhog estate, 18/44 fastrack, and Exmark Laser HP. I was ready to purchase this mower w/ only 77 hours for $5000 untill I cut some grass. It seemed to bog down too easily at 2.5". I known its short but the grass didn't really need cutting so I set it bit lower so there would be something to cut. The blades were a bit dull and had never been sharpened/changed. It didn't bog at 3" but the grass couldn't have been more than 4" tall in dry conditions and not thick at all. I have St. Augustine at the house and it gets thick. I left thinking this 'commercial' machine was way under powered and should walk right through most grass. Are my expectations way off or is there something else to consider. I think this is a great deal on this unit and I might get it for less but if it can't cut my grass then its not a great deal. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A few things to check.
First thing is to get sharp blades on it.
Have the dealer check the engine RPM's
Also have the dealer check the deck pitch and level.
This deck has been out for a long time with us and is a very popular mower, I am sure after these items are addressed it will be fine.

Pj
Old 08-27-2007, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Pj. I've been in touch with the dealer and he also seemed a little suprised. He told me to have the owner bring it in to check the engine, throttle, etc. I've been getting a real education on this forum. Thanks to all who contribute.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou Boy View Post
Thanks Pj. I've been in touch with the dealer and he also seemed a little suprised. He told me to have the owner bring it in to check the engine, throttle, etc. I've been getting a real education on this forum. Thanks to all who contribute.
Good.
Let us know how you make out.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

made a decision

Based on the negative feeling I was having about the used Mini Z I decided not to pursue it. The owner didn't call back and the dealer had not heard from him to get the mower checked out either. Also, the owner had never never changed the oil (not even the break-in) until after the first season. He told me his young son did most of the cutting and he, the owner, only had about ten hours time operating the machine. So, between the oil, the son operating, the performance, and no dealer check-up, I decided to buy new. This way I know what the machine has been through.
I came minutes away from buying a 21/54 Fastrak until I realized the sale on the Exmark Lazer Z HP 19/50. The Triton deck seems to be a monster and that was a big concern for me because the deck always seems to be the first to go (rust). I also considered a new Mini z 19/52 but the Exmark was priced right in between the two. All I can do is hope I made a good decision. Thanks guys.