Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

turf magazine and spanish...

i was wondering why they have to put a article in spanish and english into the magazine? I would prefer not to have the spanish one. I feel that if they are over here, they need to learn to read in english.
other than that, i feel that it is a great magazine.

I would like to see comparison of mowers on how they cut from the midwest more instead of the east coast or the south.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is america. Odd that a magazine like that will publish in a foreign language, but no advertizement for a video or cassette to learn the english language. They are just looking out for #1 I guess.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We've been asked this many times. Part of the reason for running a spanish article alongside it's English counterpart is to encourage spanish employees to learn English.
If you notice, most of the articles are safety related and we feel it is important that while they are learning English, they have access to articles on safety that they can understand.

But stay tuned.....I'll forward your concerns to David and he will get back if I have mispoken the company position or if he would like to add anything.

www.gatheringofeagles.org

Old 09-26-2007, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This was my main reason I had for not renewing my subscription. They're condoning what I feel is a big problem here in the U.S.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojob View Post
This was my main reason I had for not renewing my subscription. They're condoning what I feel is a big problem here in the U.S.
I agree with you, I am contemplating on cancelling my subscription. What I cant believe is that they are now allowing businesses here in the DFW area accept pesos.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman1994 View Post
I agree with you, I am contemplating on cancelling my subscription. What I cant believe is that they are now allowing businesses here in the DFW area accept pesos.
Is that why we're seeing so many Texans moving to CO? I moved here from south FL. I lived there for 40 years and knew it was time to move when my son was one of only a few kids in his first grade class that spoke english. Makes me sick.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

What

Ok, Items Are Printed On Boxes In Diffrent Languages Beacuse Those Items Are Usen In Fiffrent Country's...if Turf Wants To Go Spanish Thats Fine But Send The Magazine To Mexico. There Taking Enough Of The Work Here Already And They Cant Even Speak Our Language, Its Not Our Job To Learn Theres..this Is Our Amercia Plain And Simple. If Its A Safty Issue..then They Should Not Be Employed By You In The First Place But Thats Your Choice. Do U Think For One Second If We Hooped The Fence And Went To Mexico To Get A Job...they Are Going To Train Us In English.......not!!! Have You Been To Mexico..there Is Not One Thing In English..not One, So Give Us A Break And Lets Get Real
2003 Silverado Dump 4x4
2004 F250 4x4
2006 F250 PSD
Old 12-15-2007, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was just thinking about this. There are probably just as many people in this country that only speak French as there are people that only speak Spanish(that are here legally). So, why doesn't the mag and all the other companies that currently print everything in English/Spanish print it in French as well? Because they're not catering to the people that are here legally. They know that there's 12-20 million potential customers out there. Legal or not, they don't care. They just want to make a quick buck. These companies are hoping for amnesty for these illegal immigrants. 12-20 million customers for them...12-20 million lowballing competitors for us. Think about it.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyu View Post
We've been asked this many times. Part of the reason for running a spanish article alongside it's English counterpart is to encourage spanish employees to learn English.
If you notice, most of the articles are safety related and we feel it is important that while they are learning English, they have access to articles on safety that they can understand.

But stay tuned.....I'll forward your concerns to David and he will get back if I have mispoken the company position or if he would like to add anything.
Hey how about this...the same way the immigration rush that came through Ellis Island, legally mind you, learned English...FULL IMMERSION!!! HOW will printing the same article in Espanol and English side by side encourage someone to learn English? Printing the article in Spanish is not aiding these people to learn English, it is ENABLING THEM to NOT learn it!! Oh wait, we wouldn't want to make someone feel..GASP..unCOMFORTABLE!! God forbid!! Keep it up and the foriegn language will BE English
I WANT MY COUNTRY BACK!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyu View Post

Plus, the advertisers, who drive the magazine by the way, love the idea of the spanish speakers looking at their equipment.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Closed Thread