Old 11-07-2007, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Aluminum=No Good for landscape lighting

Picture speaks for itself
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2007, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Craig Freeman CLVT #0412

Nothing wrong with aluminum fixtures as long it is rust proof and the powder coat system is top notch. I have aluminum fixtures in the ground for 10 years and still look great.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You paint with a broad brush there Pete. I agree with you about aluminum spikes.

When it comes to fixtures though, you should take a look at an aluminum alloy called 6061-T6. I'm not sure who is using it besides FX, but I've never had one of their aluminum alloy fixtures corrode (unlike NS, Hadco and Vista).

This Aluminum / Silicon / Magnesium alloy has been solution heat treated and artificially aged. Machines well with excellent welding qualities. Resists stress cracking. Good formability with medium strength and high corrosion resistance. Used in many heavy–duty structures, particularly for transportation and marine applications.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
You paint with a broad brush there Pete. I agree with you about aluminum spikes.

When it comes to fixtures though, you should take a look at an aluminum alloy called 6061-T6. I'm not sure who is using it besides FX, but I've never had one of their aluminum alloy fixtures corrode (unlike NS, Hadco and Vista).

This Aluminum / Silicon / Magnesium alloy has been solution heat treated and artificially aged. Machines well with excellent welding qualities. Resists stress cracking. Good formability with medium strength and high corrosion resistance. Used in many heavy–duty structures, particularly for transportation and marine applications.
Maybe in california and texas but they don't survive on Long Island which is surrounded by salt water ocean.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete scalia View Post
Maybe in california and texas but they don't survive on Long Island which is surrounded by salt water ocean.
FX has never had a corrosion return according to there slicks.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Lights View Post
FX has never had a corrosion return according to there slicks.

That is a pretty broad statement. I sold FX for 2 years and I sold those products here in southern california and I have seen RS bullet lights with corrosion issues starting right at the knuckle for years. So maybe the reason they have not recived any fixtures on warranty due to corrosion is becuase the one's that corroded were wired to Unique transformers which voids the fixture warranty?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete scalia View Post
I don't consider myself the smartest guy in the world, but last time I checked California is on the coast. I do alot of work right on the beach, and I've serviced plenty of 7-10 year old jobs with FX aluminum fixtures that don't show any signs of corrosion.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Geez Pete, the pic looks like you dug an old cow bell out of the ground. I am sure there has got to be better grades of aluminum like Gregg is talking about. I believe Chris J. brought up one time about all the aluminum stairs, railings etc.. on boats that seem to stand up to direct salt water spray.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 11-08-2007, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Companies in china applying rust proof coatings to aluminum fixtures = corrosion. I have no faith that these imports use proper rust proofing methods. Maybe they can buy paint from Matel, I hear lead doesn't corrode for decades.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Designers View Post
Companies in china applying rust proof coatings to aluminum fixtures = corrosion. I have no faith that these imports use proper rust proofing methods. Maybe they can buy paint from Matel, I hear lead doesn't corrode for decades.
Are you referencing the picture above, or do you have a specific manufacturer in mind? Your post comes right after mine, so it looks like you are referencing to FX, but all of their product is made in the US, including molding the metals.