Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-20-2007, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Alt Fuel discusson, Hummer 0-60 in 6 seconds and gets 80 MPG?

I found an article in Fast Company magazine. The cover say's "This Mechanic can get you 100MPG today with stock parts why can't Detroit" I don't really want to discuss why Detroit isn't getting the job done I do want to get some education on what am I (or all of us ) missing here.

The guys bread and butter is taking new Hummers putting Duramax engine with the Allison transmission into Hummers. He then runs them on a blend of Diesel and used veg oil "strained through a pair of old blue jeans. This doubles the reg mileage from say 16 Mpg to 32 Mpg I guess he is using a 50/50 mix? Then he has an injection system that injects small amounts of Natural gas or ethanol this increases the horsepower tremendously.

I am not mechanically gifted so the injection part is out of my league. But I am capable of getting used oil from a local restaurant straining it with something better than blue jeans and adding it to my fuel tank. I know the cold is an issue and being here in Phoenix I think I have that problem minimized.

Anyone have any reasons this wont work for all of us with Diesel's?
Old 11-20-2007, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thats a complete hoax.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Hoax.....think again. Mechs have been able to tamper with mpg since intro of the car. This is worthy of usage
Old 11-20-2007, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

B.S. Vegatable oil is gummy unless you remove the sugars. I suppose a person could squirt some natural gas into the intake for every compression stroke but I'm not convinced there would be a significant HP increase. I guess, to be blunt, I don't buy it.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Can you post a link to this article? I would love to read this. I have been more and more interested in the whole bio diesel movement.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It is in a business magazine called "Fast Company" The guy has done Lennos and Schwartzehagers vehicles and Been on MTV pimp my ride. I will get the guys name and see what I can find, I gave the Mag to my father in law.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Propane injection increases horsepower. And I know that you can run veggie oil in a diesel. They were originally designed to run peanut oil.
36 Scag WB w/ Sulke
2x Echo 261t trimmer
Echo 260 edger
Shindiawa EB8510 blower
Echo PB-251 blower
Echo HC-150 hedge trimmer
Echo PPT-260 pole saw
Husky 338xpt
Husky 346xp
Old 11-20-2007, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I've read and understand fully, biodiesel. I know today's diesels can and do run on biodiesel. However, to filter spent cooking oil through blue jeans and run it in today's H.O. diesel engine is suspect at best. Being that I've been a heavy equipment mechanic (diesel, hydraulic, gas, turbine, etc...) for 17+ years I have a, well lets say, okay understanding on how things work.

BTW, in my last post I said "Significant HP increase". Not that I don't believe HP would increase with the use of natural gas.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The guy has got to be using special filtration and a preheater to run straight veggie oil in that engine. You could probably run straight biodiesel in it, but biodiesel is NOT the same as vegetable oil. There's a lot more to making biodiesel then pouring used vegetable oil through a pair of blue jeans. Natural gas, or more commonly used propane injection can make more power, sort of like using nitrous on a gas engine. Maybe it will improve your fuel mileage, but definitely not your fuel economy. When you factor in the cost of the gas injection system plus the cost of the CNG or propane itself, those costs will more than eat up any gain you get in fuel mileage.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey2002 View Post
The guy has got to be using special filtration and a preheater to run straight veggie oil in that engine. You could probably run straight biodiesel in it, but biodiesel is NOT the same as vegetable oil. There's a lot more to making biodiesel then pouring used vegetable oil through a pair of blue jeans. Natural gas, or more commonly used propane injection can make more power, sort of like using nitrous on a gas engine. Maybe it will improve your fuel mileage, but definitely not your fuel economy. When you factor in the cost of the gas injection system plus the cost of the CNG or propane itself, those costs will more than eat up any gain you get in fuel mileage.
Whats the difference in Fuel Mileage and Fuel Economy?