Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2007, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Winter Sales

Hey Guys,
Is it typical to have a sales slowdown for lighting in the month of December or do really notice any difference at all? I have not had enough seasons doing just lighting only to know if sales are usually not as common around the holidays for everyone in this industry. I know in landscaping things slow down because it is difficult to work the ground at this time of year. But our weather here is generally conducive to lighting all year round. I am just wondering if I am just sucking at sales right now or if people are just not interested at the moment. I havn't gotton a lot of no's, just not right nows. Is this normal for everyone?

I hear a lot of guys talk on here about selling all year round and it doesn't make a difference of the season. Just wondering if I am wasting my time trying to sell right now around the holidays.

Thanks for any input.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com

Last edited by Lite4; 12-19-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mike, I know others will have there experiences to share. I think it really comes down to territory. Keep pushing and setting up demo's. For the next month people are trying to re coup from the holiday spending but come closer to tax time Feb. March you should see a real resurgance.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Joey, that's Tim.

Tim, I just got off the phone with another demo call. That's four booked from my mailing of 1400 that went out a couple weeks ago. I also have two referrals. I will be breaking down one in a few hours and setting up another. I love the over-nighter whole portrait/one zone demo thing. Whether or not I close, at least I'm busy and networking, and getting exposure. I hate sitting inside.

And I think Joey is right about the instant upsell. I tell people I have x number lights on the scene, they say wow, that many? I say yeah, we can scale back if you want, and they say no, we like it like this.

My cards just have a simple pic on front, and "Keep this card for a free demo (reg. $65)" on back. Bury the part-time lighting guys or landscapers that don't have nice demo's or the willingness to put them up!!

I have to admit, it's alot of work. But at least you can just leave it all there, go home and sleep.

I will be saturating the neighborhoods on my next quantum mailing where I got responses. Next card may not say free demo, but free consultation instead. I'll see what happens.

Mike M
Old 12-19-2007, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Joey, that's Tim.

Tim, I just got off the phone with another demo call. That's four booked from my mailing of 1400 that went out a couple weeks ago. I also have two referrals. I will be breaking down one in a few hours and setting up another. I love the over-nighter whole portrait/one zone demo thing. Whether or not I close, at least I'm busy and networking, and getting exposure. I hate sitting inside.

And I think Joey is right about the instant upsell. I tell people I have x number lights on the scene, they say wow, that many? I say yeah, we can scale back if you want, and they say no, we like it like this.

My cards just have a simple pic on front, and "Keep this card for a free demo (reg. $65)" on back. Bury the part-time lighting guys or landscapers that don't have nice demo's or the willingness to put them up!!

I have to admit, it's alot of work. But at least you can just leave it all there, go home and sleep.

I will be saturating the neighborhoods on my next quantum mailing where I got responses. Next card may not say free demo, but free consultation instead. I'll see what happens.

Mike M
Free Demo? You are setting yourself up for some real time wasting my friend. I realize that you have to start somewhere but I'd rather hire the guy at the top of the hill and not the guy with the FREE demo. At least get a C note from them. Your going to attract alot of un qualifieds with a free demo. Something free brings cheapos out of the woodwork like nothing else.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Free Demo? You are setting yourself up for some real time wasting my friend. I realize that you have to start somewhere but I'd rather hire the guy at the top of the hill and not the guy with the FREE demo. At least get a C note from them. Your going to attract alot of un qualifieds with a free demo. Something free brings cheapos out of the woodwork like nothing else.

I agree, even though I'm just sitting on my arse with not much going on. Plus, I think I lost a lot of weight the last week with these demo's. And I met some interesting people.

My next mailing I will charge a flat fee and offer to credit them upon purchase. Not only will that shake out the cheap freebee types, but it will also kinda pre-qualify the serious prospects that are not so worried about the cost. And like you said, it makes my image seem more credible.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post

I agree, even though I'm just sitting on my arse with not much going on. Plus, I think I lost a lot of weight the last week with these demo's. And I met some interesting people.

My next mailing I will charge a flat fee and offer to credit them upon purchase. Not only will that shake out the cheap freebee types, but it will also kinda pre-qualify the serious prospects that are not so worried about the cost. And like you said, it makes my image seem more credible.
Excellent that you have realized it. If you don't have respect for your own time and get paid for it then no one else will either. Lotsa luck and keep us posted as to your progress.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete scalia View Post
I just read an article by Robert Kiyosaki in Entrepreneur about this free thing and how it attracts "freeloaders" who don't want to spend money but rather be as cheap as possible.

To some extent, I agree with demos. For instance, it's more exposure to the neighbors, since you're there more. Exposure is always a good thing.

I think it really comes down to preference. If you don't mind doing the extra work and taking time away from your personal life, then demo away. The main thing is making sure it's not costing you time that could be spent making money. As long as there's no opportunity cost of doing demos, and you don't mind, I don't see how they are a bad thing.

For me, I've never had an issue not doing demos, and until I do have issues, I will not add it to my pitch. I'm fortunate enough to have a great website that I get lots of compliments on, and this has sold many deals for me --- customers tell me this explicitly. That's all I need to hear.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just read an article by Robert Kiyosaki in Entrepreneur about this free thing and how it attracts "freeloaders" who don't want to spend money but rather be as cheap as possible.

You'd better believe it.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsmity View Post
I'm fortunate enough to have a great website that I get lots of compliments on, and this has sold many deals for me --- customers tell me this explicitly. That's all I need to hear.
What is this web address bmwsmity? Could you add it to your profile?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry Tim, I meant to address you.