Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-24-2007, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Q for Parbies

I'd kill for some good comparisons on PAR wells.

I want to try the unique 125's with the debris grate on the glare-shield side, but I was told the rubber gimbals can get melt-stuck to the lamp. Has anyone had this happen? I could speculate it's happened from improper install with a 50 watter, or with a heat-containing lens/cover.

Mike M
Old 12-24-2007, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I'd kill for some good comparisons on PAR wells.

I want to try the unique 125's with the debris grate on the glare-shield side, but I was told the rubber gimbals can get melt-stuck to the lamp. Has anyone had this happen? I could speculate it's happened from improper install with a 50 watter, or with a heat-containing lens/cover.

Mike M
they are not rated for 50 watt lamps. They are a good vaule well light with a 5 year warrenty. in black or brown. brown is the best. they can also stack. My old rubber gimble did not have the right UV package......they do now.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, Nate.

Is it 5 years because the rubber dry-rots from the heat, etc.? If so I'll just use wells with the steel gimbals, like on the 225's.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Mike,
I have done some R & R on some of the Unique 125's....no problem with the rubber gimbles. They had the debris guards also with 35W lamps.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well then you and I are looking at the same thing. I'd rather use 40-50% 125's and the rest nice brass stakes & specialties, in leiu of going with aluminum to try to reduce costs.

The ABS composte wells are what, 15 year? While the 125's are only 5 year. That bugs me. Why are the 125's in the warrenty class with aluminum? Does the heat weaken the PVC housings, or is there a prob with the rubber gimbals?

I agree with you that the 125's seem really usable, 25' leads and they have those daignol debris grates. I don't see anyone else with diagnol debris shields. Kichler doesn't even have leads.

Cast has PAR wells (which I wasn't even aware), but they don't have the diagnol debris guards.

I have the 125's in my demo kit. The rubber gimbal is not quite a substitute for the stainless steel adjustables, but the cost is very low.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Well then you and I are looking at the same thing. I'd rather use 40-50% 125's and the rest nice brass stakes & specialties, in leiu of going with aluminum to try to reduce costs.

The ABS composte wells are what, 15 year? While the 125's are only 5 year. That bugs me. Why are the 125's in the warrenty class with aluminum? Does the heat weaken the PVC housings, or is there a prob with the rubber gimbals?

I agree with you that the 125's seem really usable, 25' leads and they have those daignol debris grates. I don't see anyone else with diagnol debris shields. Kichler doesn't even have leads.

Cast has PAR wells (which I wasn't even aware), but they don't have the diagnol debris guards.

I have the 125's in my demo kit. The rubber gimbal is not quite a substitute for the stainless steel adjustables, but the cost is very low.
I can't have a lesser expensive well light with the same warranty...........The F225 is a better light hands down.........it also comes in brown...you do have to buy a grate ..................I have the F225 cans injected molded with a special compound for heat and UV. Its also has a patented gimble ring.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate mullen View Post
I can't have a lesser expensive well light with the same warranty...........The F225 is a better light hands down.........it also comes in brown...you do have to buy a grate ..................I have the F225 cans injected molded with a special compound for heat and UV. Its also has a patented gimble ring.
One more thing....................Don't let the 5 year warrenty fool you. The F125 should last forrever.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I figured. The ABS composites are better, but in realty, those 125's are fine. I also understand that a warranty is a part of a marketing expression; i.e., how do you sell those 225's to me if they have the same warrenty as the 125's? But why not make the 225's lifetime and the 125's 15? The reason I ask, is that I'm using the same marketing/warranty angle with my customers, and I don't want to say: those staked fixtures are lifetime, and the wells are all 5 years. See? For the end consumer, I have to present the well with the brass, not one well to another.

If I go with copper fixtures at 15 years, it still sounds silly to say 5 years on the wells. Did you make the wells to go with Kichler and Vista powder coat fixtures? I doubt it. Are you saying Unique makes a fixture in the same longevity class as the aluminum?

I'm just saying it's a big jump from 5 to lifetime. Or 5 to 15 years. 5 sucks. The whole point of the economic well for me is to lower the average fixture cost, maiking the awesome brass fixtures more accessible. But my idea won't work with a huge disparity in warranty language in my proposal to the prospect.

If the best response to me is to avoid the 125's and go with 225's, I'm okay with that. I like the adjustable steel gimbal anyway. But why would you even make the 125?

Don't take me too seriously, I'm a low-volume rookie.

Thanks,

Mike M.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate mullen View Post
One more thing....................Don't let the 5 year warrenty fool you. The F125 should last forrever.
This I have a problem with. If it should last forever, then back it up with a warranty that says that.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Have you checked out the FX one I posted a pic of the other day?