Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Mike M Mike M is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,814
Q for Parbies

I'd kill for some good comparisons on PAR wells.

I want to try the unique 125's with the debris grate on the glare-shield side, but I was told the rubber gimbals can get melt-stuck to the lamp. Has anyone had this happen? I could speculate it's happened from improper install with a 50 watter, or with a heat-containing lens/cover.

Mike M
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-24-2007, 10:35 AM
nate mullen nate mullen is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: escondido, ca.
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I'd kill for some good comparisons on PAR wells.

I want to try the unique 125's with the debris grate on the glare-shield side, but I was told the rubber gimbals can get melt-stuck to the lamp. Has anyone had this happen? I could speculate it's happened from improper install with a 50 watter, or with a heat-containing lens/cover.

Mike M
they are not rated for 50 watt lamps. They are a good vaule well light with a 5 year warrenty. in black or brown. brown is the best. they can also stack. My old rubber gimble did not have the right UV package......they do now.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Mike M Mike M is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,814
Thanks, Nate.

Is it 5 years because the rubber dry-rots from the heat, etc.? If so I'll just use wells with the steel gimbals, like on the 225's.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-24-2007, 04:52 PM
klkanders klkanders is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 841
Hey Mike,
I have done some R & R on some of the Unique 125's....no problem with the rubber gimbles. They had the debris guards also with 35W lamps.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Mike M Mike M is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,814
Well then you and I are looking at the same thing. I'd rather use 40-50% 125's and the rest nice brass stakes & specialties, in leiu of going with aluminum to try to reduce costs.

The ABS composte wells are what, 15 year? While the 125's are only 5 year. That bugs me. Why are the 125's in the warrenty class with aluminum? Does the heat weaken the PVC housings, or is there a prob with the rubber gimbals?

I agree with you that the 125's seem really usable, 25' leads and they have those daignol debris grates. I don't see anyone else with diagnol debris shields. Kichler doesn't even have leads.

Cast has PAR wells (which I wasn't even aware), but they don't have the diagnol debris guards.

I have the 125's in my demo kit. The rubber gimbal is not quite a substitute for the stainless steel adjustables, but the cost is very low.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-25-2007, 10:11 AM
nate mullen nate mullen is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: escondido, ca.
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Well then you and I are looking at the same thing. I'd rather use 40-50% 125's and the rest nice brass stakes & specialties, in leiu of going with aluminum to try to reduce costs.

The ABS composte wells are what, 15 year? While the 125's are only 5 year. That bugs me. Why are the 125's in the warrenty class with aluminum? Does the heat weaken the PVC housings, or is there a prob with the rubber gimbals?

I agree with you that the 125's seem really usable, 25' leads and they have those daignol debris grates. I don't see anyone else with diagnol debris shields. Kichler doesn't even have leads.

Cast has PAR wells (which I wasn't even aware), but they don't have the diagnol debris guards.

I have the 125's in my demo kit. The rubber gimbal is not quite a substitute for the stainless steel adjustables, but the cost is very low.
I can't have a lesser expensive well light with the same warranty...........The F225 is a better light hands down.........it also comes in brown...you do have to buy a grate ..................I have the F225 cans injected molded with a special compound for heat and UV. Its also has a patented gimble ring.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-25-2007, 10:14 AM
nate mullen nate mullen is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: escondido, ca.
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate mullen View Post
I can't have a lesser expensive well light with the same warranty...........The F225 is a better light hands down.........it also comes in brown...you do have to buy a grate ..................I have the F225 cans injected molded with a special compound for heat and UV. Its also has a patented gimble ring.
One more thing....................Don't let the 5 year warrenty fool you. The F125 should last forrever.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Mike M Mike M is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,814
That's what I figured. The ABS composites are better, but in realty, those 125's are fine. I also understand that a warranty is a part of a marketing expression; i.e., how do you sell those 225's to me if they have the same warrenty as the 125's? But why not make the 225's lifetime and the 125's 15? The reason I ask, is that I'm using the same marketing/warranty angle with my customers, and I don't want to say: those staked fixtures are lifetime, and the wells are all 5 years. See? For the end consumer, I have to present the well with the brass, not one well to another.

If I go with copper fixtures at 15 years, it still sounds silly to say 5 years on the wells. Did you make the wells to go with Kichler and Vista powder coat fixtures? I doubt it. Are you saying Unique makes a fixture in the same longevity class as the aluminum?

I'm just saying it's a big jump from 5 to lifetime. Or 5 to 15 years. 5 sucks. The whole point of the economic well for me is to lower the average fixture cost, maiking the awesome brass fixtures more accessible. But my idea won't work with a huge disparity in warranty language in my proposal to the prospect.

If the best response to me is to avoid the 125's and go with 225's, I'm okay with that. I like the adjustable steel gimbal anyway. But why would you even make the 125?

Don't take me too seriously, I'm a low-volume rookie.

Thanks,

Mike M.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Chris J Chris J is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Maldive Islands
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate mullen View Post
One more thing....................Don't let the 5 year warrenty fool you. The F125 should last forrever.
This I have a problem with. If it should last forever, then back it up with a warranty that says that.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-24-2007, 06:42 PM
irrig8r irrig8r is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 4,545
Have you checked out the FX one I posted a pic of the other day?
__________________
Landscaper. Irrigator. Illuminator. Music lover. Coffee drinker.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 AM.

Page generated in 0.10584 seconds with 7 queries